Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Radio/CD/DVD not working on my '07 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2006, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio/CD/DVD not working on my '07 Suburban

I just bought an '07 Suburban LT3 two weeks ago. The dealer I got it from had to source the vehicle from another dealership here in town. When I went to pick it up the dealer I bought the my Suburban from told me the radio wasn't working, but they ordered a replacement and could install it in two days. I went back two days later, got the new radio installed, but it didn't solve the problem. I've now had the car back twice (a total of three service visits including the first radio replacement).

By now the dealership has replace A) the radio, B) the amplifier and C) repaired a chaffed wire harness and splice. In each case except (A) the radio/entertainment system will work for a couple days and then go completely black. No radio, no CD, no DVD, no XM, no blinker audible, no audible for the rear lift gate, and the backup assist sensor system totally turns off.

By now I'm starting to get pretty annoyed. The service department has been kind to work with, but hasn't been able to fix the problem. I'm afraid that it's a major manufacturing defect, maybe having to do with wireing. I don't really want a service department to rip apart the inside of the car to do a re-wire job. My wife wants Chevy to just replace the car.

Does anyone have advice or has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Radio/CD/DVD not working on my '07 Suburban

I am having a very similar problem with my 2004 Suburban and now am getting very annoyed. CD/radio Component was replaced twice and it still does not work properly. I'm beginning to think it's a wiring problem also. CD gets stuck and component gets VERY hot. Nothing works until we let the car cool down, usually overnight. Our dealership is now requiring more evidence. It never seems to happen during dealership hours (probably because we only use it for an extended period on the weekends), so I was finally able to get it on video. Dealership saw it and after a week said that the video is not enough. Instead, they need to keep the car until they see the problem happen. The clincher is that they refuse to give us a loaner in the meantime, so there is no way I can go without a car for that long. I called Chevrolet Customer Service and am waiting to hear back. Any suggestions/resolutions would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old November 9th, 2006, 3:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Contact a GM rep and advise them of the multitude of issues you are having. If they still don't help you may want to start researching the lemon law.
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:45 AM
CF Junior Member

The problum sounds like a computer/controler issue (only a sugestion) since it involves many differant fuctions. Make sure the tech has the full story, in fact, speak with the tech yourself, there are often comunication breakdowns between you & the service advisor & between service advisor & the tech. Sounds like the tech doesn't know about the other issues. If that doesn't work Involve the dealership owner/general manager including the finance department. Tell them you want your money back! If you hit them where it counts (money) you will get quicker results. You have lots of rights in your favor. Make sure the dealer knows you know your legal options. You should at least demand an equivelant loaner or rental (they pay for) to drive & tell them to keep yours till its fixed. Also your new vehicel should not have chaffed wires, maybe there's a varmint amidst.
Old November 11th, 2006, 2:13 AM
CF Beginner

Update on my issue: I have had the car in to the dealership 4 times now. Each time the radio doesn't work. Note also that when the AV system is out the following items are not operational: Radio, DVD player, CD player, Turn signal audible indicator, Backup assist system in its entirety, Driver seat memory audible indicator, Rear lift gate audible warning of movement, Door chimes. I did contact a GM rep. They were nearly worthless. One took all my info down and then transferred me. The person who I got transferred to woudld not commit to anything other than to call and follow up on my next service visit. I got one (1) call and all he had been able to find out from the dealership was that I had my car back into service. I have received no other follow up calls. Very disatisfying.

Long story long, this last time the dealership found a wire harness under the dash that had not been properly connected and seated. They believe that has fixed the problem (but they thought they had fixed the problem the first three times (new radio head unit, new amp, and a repaired "chaffed" wire). I am not really finding fault with the good intentions of the dealership. But, how many times does a car have to go in before they find the root of the problem? They did at least give me a loaner car while they were troubleshooting the problem.

So far I've had the car back a week now (had the car for a total of a month). No problems so far...

I read the post about the 2004 and the hot issue. Mine is not like that. I truly think mine is a wiring problem (and hope this last visit solved it). I do suggest getting the GM customer service rep involved (call 800-222-1020) and get a case number going. That will get someone involved who is at least able to authorize a replacement. I am surprised jporetta that you're not burning a fuse with the overheating problem. Sounds like you need a new head unit or something.

Anyway, I'll post again if the problem's not solved.

PS - in my state (OR) the lemon law only kicks in after the car has been out of service for 30 days or more. A long time to wait.