Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

What's involved in replacing a rear wheel bearing on an '80 Beauville?

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's involved in replacing a rear wheel bearing on an '80 Beauville?

Hi everyone,

My dad has asked me to replace the rear wheel bearing on his 1980 Beauville G20. It's been a long time since I've worked on a wheel bearing (like 25 years). On this van, I assume I need to pull the wheel, remove the drum, and at this point, what's next? There should be a nut with a cotter pin - remove those, and the bearing should pull out, correct?

He is complaining of a hum on one side and the body shop recommended he change the bearing.

Thanks in advance,

Ron
Old July 26th, 2010, 8:47 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the rear

depends on the rear end if its a 1 ton you will need to remove the axiles. just to do the brakes on my 92 G30 Beauville the axiles come out to get to the drums so if you do the wheel bearings do the new shoes to
Old July 26th, 2010, 9:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is a G20 van, then it's a 3/4 ton, which is most likely the 12 bolt rearend. you'll need to pull the diff cover, remove the bolt that holds the center pin in place, remove center pin (this is the center pin in the carrier). with wheels and drums removed, push the axle in slightly, remove "c" clip on diff end of axle, pull axle out. bearing may or may not be pressed onto axle. check the race for scoring or burning too, replace it if needed.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 1:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the hum he hears is more than likely just the sound of a well seasoned rearend, check for slop in the rear if there is a bunch, then the hum is more than likely just worn a bit and thats where the hum comes from. i would change the diff fluid if it hasnt been done in a while
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Hi guys

I just joined. I got my 1988 G-20 conversion van on the road (finally)

I changed quite a few parts (all brake lines ,calipers,brakes wheel cylinders, etc, idler arm, alt....) and lots O bodywork.
It passed safety fine, but I noticed that it has a roar or hum at 40 + Kpm from the rear.
I suspect the bearings but I thought that bearings might be noticable by the amount of axial play in the rear diff. and not pass safety. I`ll take the advice 2wd-k5 and change fluid..maybe add some Lucas as well. Can someone give me some advice on what to look for when I pull the diff cover?

Thanks
Old September 5th, 2010, 1:51 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look for wear on the teeth and also be on the look out for any metal shavings, i use royal purple in my rearend, also dont worry about the cover gasket, i use RTV silicone for a cover seal, just make sure it is clean
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks 2WD

Its raining out today (Van won`t fit in garage) so it will have to wait.

Any way to check the bearings without removing them? I was hoping simply looking for play in the spool and on the axles. I would imagine i will see wear on the gears but I`m not sure what is acceptable and what is toast. I guess if a pile of metal chunks fall out, its toast. I don`t recall seeing royal purple on the shelves here in T.O. but I`ll look again.

Thanks again.