S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

88 S10 Blazer, 4.3L V6 2WD Random High Idle Spirts

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2010, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 S10 Blazer, 4.3L V6 2WD Random High Idle Spirts

Hey, so first post and I am not sure if there is any cool or hip lingo I need to be akin to but, anyways

I am new to car fixing really and I am just kind of figuring things out on my own. I just got my Blazer from someone through Craigslist earlier this month. The only thing that was visibly wrong with it, was there was a leak in the Thermostat Housing. Thought that would be an easy fix but then the bolt on the left side snapped off clean because of the rust. So tried digging it out with a bolt remover and all kinds of things. Eventually just gave up, drilled a larger whole, put a bolt in upside down with some JB Weld and then tried to grind it flat the surface around the bolt flat and use it as a stud instead of a bolt... its still not perfectly flat and theres still a leak. I say all this because I don't know if it has something to do with what is currently happening.

So, it ran fine for the first two weeks or so, then I was in a parking lot and I went to start the car and my hand slipped off the key RIGHT before it turned over and right before it was about to start. Then I went to start it again and it puffed out a billow of smoke (grey blue so I know its from Gas) and then got a check engine so I shut it off. Tried it again, same thing happened then the check engine turned off so I decided to drive it thinking I might of just flooded it and that was it. Then about a minute or two after driving check engine turned on again and the car revved wildly and then died down, repeatedly. Then it stopped and didn't bother me all the way home. Then I got home and was trying to charge the AC unit and it did it again and this has been happening on and off for the passed two weeks. I never know if it will do it sometimes it doesn't do it on start up or at all and usually if it does happens on start up it flashes a quick Check Gauges light at me and other times it doesn't have a check engine light when I start it but shortly after driving it, it comes on and then the car revvs and backs of repeatedly. Now in the passed few days it has all so had the problem of dieing after starting and then I start it again and it works fine and now last night, all the sudden my brake fluid disappeared and I lost about a quart of oil and after refilling them today to see if I could spot leaks they are fine.

Since buying the car I have done the following. Distrubutor, Rotor, Plugs, Wires, Thermostat, Oil Change, Fuil Filter, PCV, Carb/Fuel Injector Cleaner, theres a slight leak in the Automatic transmission somewhere so I put Lucas Sealer in it, r134a charge with stop leak, Super Seal for the Air Conditioner, and I have been using Chevron Techron 91 Gas. The owner before me had to replace the Radiator and had it done at a shop. I know I don't have a blown head gasket because I don't have oil in my radiator or coolant.

My next best guess is fuel pressure regulator or ECU but I don't want to shell out the money unless I know for sure. I know this is way more info than needed but, I figure if I can be as clear as possible about what I know I can hopefully help you guess get me to the bottom of it quicker.
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Please if anyone can help I would realllly appreciate it.
Old August 28th, 2010, 1:14 AM
CF Beginner

So after giving in and doing a check engine code reading I came up with

Code 13 O2 Sensor
and
Code 22 Fuel Cut Off Solenoid

So, today I replaced the 02 Sensor and it made a difference. Now the car is almost like it is on auto pilot at times. Pretty much after 40 miles an hour if I let off the gas the MIL comes on and it revves constantly at about 1600-2000 rpms. If I put the gas back down it will turn off the MIL and the car will work fine. If I am at a stop for a long light, the MIL light comes on, the car starts to bog down and almost die, then catch itself, rev crazy and do it over and over until I hit about 30 mph then the MIL shuts off and is fine. This too doesn't happen EVERY time I drive it but majority and today I drove it a good 50+ miles.

So, my thoughts which are off what my brother and I talked about are to clean the TPS and IAC to rid them of carbon build up because the O2 was TRASHED.