Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear park assist sensors replacement

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2010, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear park assist sensors replacement

Hello there,

I had been getting the "park assist off" message on the DIC, off and on for some time. Then the "service park assist" message started. The system even works intermittent. I have purchased one new sensor and housing to try changing one at a time until we find the faulty one.

I bought a new housing, only because it seems that a previous owner must have had an incident at some point because the out left housing is haywired in. I do suspect that it is the problem one. So that is were we will start.

My question is regarding how the housing is mounted before we start taking it apart. Does anyone have a link to some installation instructions?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!
Old November 29th, 2010, 5:48 AM
CF Beginner

As it turns out....the "park assist off" may have been due to paint peeling off one the sensors. I have driven several times over the weekend and haven't had either issue displayed on the DIC. Haven't figured out why the "service park assist" was coming on though.
The housing installation seems to be a heat bound process. Never even tried to remove the old one. Did however try changing out each sensor with the new one.
Old November 29th, 2010, 9:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

IF it looks like one has been replaced, it might be worth checking the wiring job they did to ensure a good solid connection...

#08-08-127-001: Park Assist System Inoperative, Service Park Assist Message on DIC, DTC B1E3A and/or B0954, P0955, B0956, B0957, B0958, B0959, B0960, B0961 (Replace Appropriate Object Sensor or Repair Harness) - (May 30, 2008)

Subject: Park Assist System Inoperative, Service Park Assist Message on Driver Information Center (DIC), DTC B1E3A and/or B0954, B0955, B0956, B0957, B0958, B0959, B0960, B0961 (Replace Appropriate Object Sensor or Repair Harness)

Models: 2006-2008 Buick Lucerne

2008-2009 Buick Enclave

2006-2008 Cadillac DTS

2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, SRX

2008-2009 Cadillac CTS

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

2007-2009 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

2007-2009 Saturn OUTLOOK

Equipped with Parking Assist (RPO UD7 or UFR)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on a "Service Park Assist" message displayed on the DIC. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC B1E3A and one or more of the following DTC's stored: B0954, B0955, B0956, B0957, B0958, B0959, B0960, B0961.

Cause
This may be caused by a malfunctioning object sensor or a circuit fault on the 8 volt reference circuit.

Notice: The 8 volt reference circuit serves all of the object sensors in parallel. A fault anywhere on the circuit or in any single sensor will affect all of the sensors.

When a single sensor malfunctions, the shared 8 volt reference circuit may be compromised, resulting in a DTC for each sensor.

Correction
Important: DO NOT replace all the sensors and/or the object alarm module.

If normal diagnosis does not reveal any concerns with the park assist system, perform the following diagnostic procedure:

Turn the ignition OFF and disconnect the harness connector at each of the park assist sensors (4 sensors except Cadillac DTS- 8 sensors)
Important: With all the park assist sensor harness connectors disconnected, multiple sensor DTCs will set and will not clear. Ignore these DTCs.

Turn the ignition ON, clear any DTC. Verify DTC B1E3A is not set after clearing the DTCs.
• If the DTC B1E3A is set, test the 8 volt reference circuit for a short to voltage/power or a short to ground.

Important: Ensure each leg of the circuit is tested since the 8 volt reference circuit feeds all the sensors in parallel.

• Repair the faulty leg.

Install each sensor harness connector one at a time, checking DTCs after each sensor is connected. Verify DTC B1E3A is not set. If DTC B1E3A is set, replace the park assist sensor that was connected immediately before the DTC set.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Quantity

Sensor Kit, RR Object 1

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2010 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Rix (February 20th, 2021)
Old November 30th, 2010, 5:32 AM
CF Beginner

The nice folks and GMPartsDirect had also sent this Service Bulletin when I was inquiring on the part number and price. It still appears that they won't sell to us Canadians eh! regardless, we did replace them one by one, following those instructions. As we were replacing the last one, we noticed the peeling paint.

I haven't had a "Sevice Park Assist" alert since then, but the "Park Assist Off" comes on for a second or two every time I shift into drive or reverse. It is almost like it is doing a system check and from the manual, mabey it thinks there was something hanging off the bumper when I last shut it off. I also back up to park, most of the time. Not sure if that has something to do with it. It has no affect originally.

I should clarify that when I say "we", my husband is the mechanic and I have spent way too much time under the hood of chevys over the years.

Thanks for you response though! I enjoy the content of the forum everytime I go on. You guys/girls are doing a great job!
Old November 30th, 2010, 7:50 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the kudos. Everyone tries hard.
Old November 30th, 2010, 9:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default response

what ever happend to that 'jim' guy? why wasn't he able to post that as an answer?
Old July 6th, 2012, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, just wondering if there are any "shade-tree mechanic" instructions (not service bulletin speak) for replacing a rear parking sensor on a 2007 Avalanche. I have been told which sensor is bad & I have bought a replacement.
Old August 4th, 2020, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service park sensors

I have the service park sensor message on. I replaced all 4 sensors and cleared code and after 2 key turns it comes back on. I cleared again and same thing. I checked wires and they all look good. Any answers?
The following users liked this post:
matt_m_ (November 7th, 2021)
Old August 6th, 2020, 10:00 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Need a scanner capable of scanning the other 3 code families besides the P powertrain codes to see what really is going on.
Lots of modules that interconnect, for example my '11 Tahoe LTZ has 41 modules in it's system.
Old December 9th, 2023, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

07 srx have no red, yellow green light come on when I put it in reverse for the parking assist . Can't turn it on at the dash either . Some one said memory fuse driver rear box thst has a red /white strip and sensors are blue. How to get power to sensors. Can find if one is bad If I can't turn the system on ?

Quick Reply: Rear park assist sensors replacement