Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

engine hot ac off

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2012, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I just had this issue tonight. Started my car with my remote starter(I am in Saskatoon and it's -27c) . Got to the car and it was running and warming up. Gauge was showing warm a bit. Forgot to put my key in ignition and stepped on brake so engine shut off. Started car again and message engine hot ac off came on and temp read cold. Turned off engine for a few minutes and when starting again I had to crank it for awhile before it started and the message was gone but temp stayed at cold even though it was blowing hot. Drove home fine and parked car. Tried starting half an hour later and message was displaying again and really had to crank engine and it didn't start so I left it for now. Any thoughts? Any one else have trouble starting with message?

Paul
Old December 12th, 2012, 1:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Paul!

Sorry to hear that you're having troubles with your Impala up there in Saskatoon. While Louis and I won't be able to directly assist, if you should need to contact Customer Assistance for your region GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old December 19th, 2012, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

I havn't found a fix yet for the "Engine Hot - AC Off" challenge, but here is a great bandaid. Every time this message comes up, I find a safe place to park the Tahoe, then I disconnect the positive post on the battery and wait 20 seconds. The computer reboots and then everything is fine for a while. Sometimes the problem is fixxed for a month or 2 and sometimes only for a few days. Hope this help all you folks a bit
Old March 25th, 2013, 1:30 AM
CF Beginner

on dash where the odometer is this popped up engine hot ac off. the temp guage reads cold and stays on cold. the engine fan is running. whats going on?
Old March 25th, 2013, 2:00 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by w4591
on dash where the odometer is this popped up engine hot ac off. the temp guage reads cold and stays on cold. the engine fan is running. whats going on?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> w4591,

This message displays when the engine coolant becomes hotter than the normal operating temperature. To avoid added strain on a hot engine, the air conditioning compressor is automatically turned off. When the coolant temperature returns to normal, the A/C operation automatically resumes. You can continue to drive your vehicle.

If this persists, please consult with a certified technician for additional assistance.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 25th, 2013, 2:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Replace the temp sensor.
Old March 25th, 2013, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default engine hot ac off

Problem was resolved by replacing the block heater cord. Apparenly it has some electronics/ sensor built into it so that if the outside temp is above a certain level it will prevent the block heater from operating. I think I got taken a bit on the cost of the repair because they charged about $165.00 just for the cord and then labour on top of that. (GM dealership)

Paul
Old June 30th, 2013, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 impala turn a/c off engine hot

2010 impala A/C started to blow outside temp air on very hot day. DIC says turn off a/c engine hot. Temp gauge on c (normally halfway between h & c). Reserve tank low but not empty. Radiator full, actually overflowed when rad cap removed. Didn't seem to actually be hot. Replaced thermostat. Problem still there. Replaced a switch, but not sure what switch. Removed code after scan. Next day not so hot outside but went less than five miles and DIC gave same message again and A/C started to blow warm again.
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

I just had the 'Engine hot, A/C turned off' message appear on my 2009 Chevy Truck (51200 miles) this morning. Temp gauge on 160 deg, usually 210 deg. Overflow tank 1" low. Anyone come up with a real resolution for this concern? I'm out of warranty and would like to fix myself if possible. tks
Went out at lunch and started truck, message came on at start-up, ran 15 min. temp gauge never moved from 160 deg.
Driving home last night message went away, A/C came on and temp gauge went to normal 210 deg. Changed thermostat when I got home, all is well at the moment.

Last edited by 2009 C/T; July 31st, 2013 at 6:04 AM. Reason: additional info
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

engine hot a/c off comes on immediately, can't be because it's warming up too slowly, runs fine otherwise....

Quick Reply: engine hot ac off