Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Rear wiper motor

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2010, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rear wiper motor

Hey, sorry if this has been discussed. I am having trouble finding any solutions.

My rear wiper motor quit on me, I checked the fuse. It was still good so I assumed that it was the motor I replaced it with a new one and nothing is working still. I have checked the Hinge wiring harness for any cracks or wires frailed and I see nothing. I am at a total loss on this POC vehicle! nothing but repairs!

If anyone has a solution PLEASE feel free to respond and help me! It would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks again in advance!

Forgot to mention, this is an 05 uplander!

Last edited by Gallexy; November 29th, 2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: forgot year of vehicle
Old November 30th, 2010, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

I am not a mechanic. However, check to see if there is power flowing to the connections for the motor itself. You will need a "tester gadget" to do the check.

I have an 2005 as well and I have replaced the rear wiper motor during the 4th year. When speaking with a mechanic who did the replacement on my vehicle, he said it is rather common to replace rear wiper motors on any make of vehicle. This is especially true when people leave the wiper running on dry glass for extended periods of time or if turned on when the blade is frozen to the glass. Said that the rear wiper motor is not as robust and built to endure like the front wiper mechanism is designed.

Now I am particularly wary about how I use the rear wiper.

Oh yeah, when I replaced the wiper motor on my van it was about $100 for the wiper motor and $50 for a 1/2 hour of labor, which I thought was reasonable.
Old November 30th, 2010, 9:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check at motor plug for power, could be a switch.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
Check at motor plug for power, could be a switch.

I disconnect the power from the motor and there is a faint spark when the switch is on. I tried another motor to see if I got a faulty motor (you never know) and same no go! I will get a power tester and see what I get today!

thanks again for your feedback!
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:07 AM
CF Junior Member

I agere with ice77 get a volt meter and check the volts to see what your getting at the motor. you would have to look up what the voltage should be or ask the dealer for a copy of the wireing diagram. if its not good there go to the next conector and so on till you find the problem. Its a easy process if you can get the wireing diagram. but from my experiance it might be the switch you could still have power at the motor but no signal. But as i said you would have to do the leg work to prove it so. i wouldnt throw any parts at it till you narrowed it down.
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

sorry my father has not been around to help me with some solutions so I have not been able to test! still appreciating the help!
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rear Wiper Motor

Hello all,

I FIXED my wiper motor.

After testing all the electrical leads , checking the fuses, it turned out to be the shaft that was packed with gunk. I took the wiper motor out, hammered the Wiper shaft out, cleaned, re-lubed and good to go!!

How to:
1) Remove the Back door plastic cover
2) Remove the actual wiper from the motor
3) Remove wiper motor
4) open wiper motor (5 or 6 torx screws-you'll need torx bits)
5) Remove wiper drive part from motor
6) With a sledge and a punch (2 Gauge nail or bigger) hammer the center of the wiper shaft out.
7) clean and re-lube
8) put shaft center back in the wiper drive
9) do steps 1-5 in reverse order and Voila!

Cheaper than a new wiper motor.

Cheers.
:-)

Last edited by patcad; July 28th, 2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added steps 4-5 and 8
Old July 5th, 2012, 5:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wiper motor

And here I thought this would tough, easy peasy, it took about an hour Thank you very much.
Old July 29th, 2012, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Patcad has it right, at least for my car

I did Patcad's suggested routine today and sure enough, fixed the rear wiper motor of my 2006 Pontac SV6. I might add that putting a 20 gauge shotgun cleaning brush onto a drill-driver and using a rifle bore cleaner really helped get the shaft bore cleaned out quickly. It was really nasty.
Old June 30th, 2013, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by patcad
Hello all,

I FIXED my wiper motor.

After testing all the electrical leads , checking the fuses, it turned out to be the shaft that was packed with gunk. I took the wiper motor out, hammered the Wiper shaft out, cleaned, re-lubed and good to go!!

How to:
1) Remove the Back door plastic cover
2) Remove the actual wiper from the motor
3) Remove wiper motor
4) open wiper motor (5 or 6 torx screws-you'll need torx bits)
5) Remove wiper drive part from motor
6) With a sledge and a punch (2 Gauge nail or bigger) hammer the center of the wiper shaft out.
7) clean and re-lube
8) put shaft center back in the wiper drive
9) do steps 1-5 in reverse order and Voila!

Cheaper than a new wiper motor.

Cheers.
:-)
This worked perfectly for me. I didn't get what step 5 was but its all back together and working great.

Quick Reply: Rear wiper motor