Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 28th, 2015, 3:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Neutral Safety Switch?

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2010, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral Safety Switch?

I have a 1995 k1500, 5.7l, auto trans. My intermittent problem is now constant. When I turn the key everything powers up but no cranking and no clicking. Starter was replaced. I can jump across the starter and it starts fine. Thoughts? Neutral Safety Switch? How would I test it?
THANKS!
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:20 PM
CF Beginner

after many tries i didnt find out the solution
Old December 22nd, 2010, 8:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are trying to start in Park,try neutral, sometimes this will work on a bad switch. Next would be to jump the switch,for which you will need a wiring diagram or maybe someone can chime in that knows the wire colors. Does your key have a chip in it? I fixed the wifes Buick that was acting this way by scrubbing the key with dish soap and a brush.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Neutral Safety Switch

I have tried starting it in nuetral with no luck. The key does not have a chip in it.

The crazy thing is, shortly after posting my question, the darn thing started right up with the key, and has not missed a beat for two days now. IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Thanks for the ideas. I can probably find a wiring diagram if / when it happens again. Do you know where the wires go to that I should be jumping?
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM
CF Active Member

i just solved that exact problem i was having with mine, if you go under the hood in the fuse box, the ENG 1 fuse should be blown, try replacing the fuse, it will let you start it, put it in drive and then back in park, shut it off and try to turn it back on, if the fuse is blown again, then its you MLPS (manual lever position switch) aka you neutral safety switch, when the fuse is blown, the park indicator in your cluster shouldnt light up, the neutral safety switch is bolted to the drivers side of your transmission, its like a 14 or 15mm nut to get the linkage off and 2 13mm bolt to get the switch off, ive seen them new for $45 but i went to the junkyard to get mine
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:37 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
If you are trying to start in Park,try neutral, sometimes this will work on a bad switch. Next would be to jump the switch,for which you will need a wiring diagram or maybe someone can chime in that knows the wire colors. Does your key have a chip in it? I fixed the wifes Buick that was acting this way by scrubbing the key with dish soap and a brush.
yeah i had to rewire mine because the connectors were stuck in the switch and its a pain, i literally had to cut a wire, soder it and then move to the next, the reason why is because there are 2 green, 2 purple, 3 yellow, 2 pink and 2 black, 11 wires total, and none of them have strips or anything to set them apart from the other same color

Last edited by silverado13; December 29th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old June 12th, 2013, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by silverado13
yeah i had to rewire mine because the connectors were stuck in the switch and its a pain, i literally had to cut a wire, soder it and then move to the next, the reason why is because there are 2 green, 2 purple, 3 yellow, 2 pink and 2 black, 11 wires total, and none of them have strips or anything to set them apart from the other same color
That works if ur buddy just didnt cut all the wires. How do you tell them apart if they were just cut and left to dangle?
Old July 20th, 2013, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

need wiring schematic for neutral safety switch 96 c1500 5.7 4l60e
Old January 20th, 2015, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by silverado13
DID YOU EVER FIGURE THIS OUT ??? My mechanic just did this same stuff to my truck and messed it up ...
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer 5 spd. Last week when I turned the key, the engine tried to start it, but wouldn't. Each time I tried it the engine became more harder to turn over until it stopped. Now when I turn the key nothing at all happens. No clicking, nothing! I've tried to override the Clutch Safety switch to see if it was bad. Still nothing.... any help or thoughts???
Thanks