Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Service Tire Pressure Monitor

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2011, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Tire Pressure Monitor

I just purchased a used 2008 Tahoe with 20" BFGoodrich All Terrain. But the Tire Pressure Monitor light is on? The dealer says it is because these are not stock tires? Is that correct and/or what can I do? thanks
Old January 30th, 2011, 4:30 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Since the TPMS checks air pressure, not sure how the type of tire would have any effect. Are you sure that the sensors are still on the wheels? Might get it scanned for any DTCs to see if it tells you anything.
Old January 30th, 2011, 6:55 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by CoachVince
I just purchased a used 2008 Tahoe with 20" BFGoodrich All Terrain. But the Tire Pressure Monitor light is on? The dealer says it is because these are not stock tires? Is that correct and/or what can I do? thanks
dealer is incorrect !

All u need to do is relearn TPMS position. U can do it by your self. Stop the car, turn engine off and put keys back in acc position. With first (or second) button on right set RELEARN TIRE POSITION or something like that. Now you have to start with left front tire. Remove valve cup and deflate tire until u hear your car horn once. It's take up to 15 sec. than continue with driver side, rear left and last rear right. When you finish last tire, car horn will sound twice to inform you, that process was successful.
Old January 30th, 2011, 7:03 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
It may cost you $20 bucks but you could have the dealer rotate your tires and they will relearn the TPMS for you, but its a good way to get to know your service person at the dealership should you decide to use them for other services...
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vrso2
dealer is incorrect !

All u need to do is relearn TPMS position. U can do it by your self. Stop the car, turn engine off and put keys back in acc position. With first (or second) button on right set RELEARN TIRE POSITION or something like that. Now you have to start with left front tire. Remove valve cup and deflate tire until u hear your car horn once. It's take up to 15 sec. than continue with driver side, rear left and last rear right. When you finish last tire, car horn will sound twice to inform you, that process was successful.
sounds easy, but nothing is ever easy with me...you mean you actually let the air out of the tire to a point where the tire goes below "x" and repeat the process on all tires? and the horn will actually sound? wow, can't be that simple, but thanks and I will try. Someone at Les Schwab said they could do it for a couple hundred bucks, at least that is what the salesman from Chevy told me. It was working before the new tires...
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Administrator

If you have the rubber valve stem sensors, don't be surprised if the manual procedure doesn't work. I remember when they switched due to corrosion problems w/ the metal ones in the rust belt and people had problems w/ the relearn procedure. Must have gotten it fixed because my new one has the metal ones.

BTW the procedure is in the owner's manual. Order is LF, RF, RR, and LR. It works by adding air also.
Old January 31st, 2011, 7:27 AM
CF Active Member

"let the air out of the tire to a point where the tire goes below "x" and repeat the process on all tires? and the horn will actually sound?"

Yes. each time system relearn TPMS horn will sound once. U dont have to empty tire. It's take up to 15 sec. All you have to do is, after procedure turn keyes to off position and blow tires back to standard tire pressure.
It's easy and u can't do it wrong. Can you ?? )
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Yes if the system refuses to work. Then you wind up w/ a flat tire. That's why I mentioned the problem w/ the rubber valve stems.
Old January 31st, 2011, 1:07 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rims

Are they the factory wheels? If not, they might have just left the TPMS sensors out of the new ones, in which case, you can't fix this without taking the tires off, putting in sensors, then putting the rubber back on!
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

I will give it a try. I should have checked the manual as it does explain the process..but more likely as has been mentioned,they left the sensors off,that is why they told me to go to Les Schwab...kind of odd the dealer didn't know this?

Quick Reply: Service Tire Pressure Monitor