Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Possible Bad Fuel Pump??

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Bad Fuel Pump??

I have a 1996 tahoe with the gas motor. It was having issues starting. Sometimes it would start fine other times it would take 7-10 attempts. Took it a dill hole mechanic and they said it was the spider fuel injector. So paid 1400 to have the fuel injector and fuel filter replaced. got it home....same problem. The mechanic now says its the fuel pump. The fuel pump itself is working fine, i checked it. The mechanic said their is a type of check valve in the fuel pump assembly that is stuck open and the gas in the line is allowed to empty back into the tank. does this sound typical? it will restart just fine after about 30 minutes but if it sits for a longer time it wont restart at all no matter how many attempts i try.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 4:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep. that is a GM tell tale sign. Extended cranking to start. The check in the pump fails and it takes FOREVER to build fuel pressure.

Dont know why he didnt do that first.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

That is what happened with my 2002 suburban when I had it.Fuel pump was getting bad.It was replaced with a Delphi fuel pump by my mechanic.Was told not to get an Airtex for a replacement,a huge piece of junk.Insist on a Delphi fuel pump which is the best for GMs
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Where is the check valve located? is it in the actual pump? i was looking at some pumps online and if i can get away with just buying the pump instead of the entire assembly i like to do that...not sure how much longer we are going to keep the tahoe.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Better off getting the whole assembly.Culperit of the fuel pump failure on my 2002 Suburban which I used to have and my sister Gina has now was a badly plugged up fuel filter.My mechanic could not blow through it at all.Plus the sending unit did not work too which is a common problem on GMs too.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 9:45 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy_mark
Where is the check valve located? is it in the actual pump? i was looking at some pumps online and if i can get away with just buying the pump instead of the entire assembly i like to do that...not sure how much longer we are going to keep the tahoe.

Based upon feedback from others on this and other forums, get an OEM fuel pump unless you like replacing one a lot.
Old March 24th, 2011, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

i just had the same problem i put the aftermarket fuel pump had to replace it a week later get the OEM pump well worth the extra loot!!!
Old March 24th, 2011, 8:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Replaced the the pump on my 96 hoe. Cut a panel out from under rear seeat and go thorugh floor pan. No need to drop the tank. Been through 3 pumps in 260K miles.
Old March 24th, 2011, 9:11 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by inthechateau
Replaced the the pump on my 96 hoe. Cut a panel out from under rear seeat and go thorugh floor pan. No need to drop the tank. Been through 3 pumps in 260K miles.
Yeah I guess you could go that route... I have replaced 3 in 3 different vehicles, 2 Subs and 1 Tahoe.... it is not a difficult job and takes less then 4 hrs and that is at a very casual pace, I think the quickest I did one of them was under 2 hrs and that was with a helper and a somewhat casual pace...

If you siphon out the gas prior to dropping the tank it is very easy, the plastic tanks are very light, it also gives you an opportunity to clean up and inspect the straps....

To siphon out the gas you will most likely need to do it from the tank filler neck, meaning you have to remove the filler neck hose at the tank to get around the restrictor/anti-siphon/coarse filter.

12 feet of plastic hose and a couple of 5 gallon gas cans and a fire extinguisher on hand is always a good idea.....