Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2010, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome. I just bought my 2010 Silverado in early June.

Well I've been told that with the Backup Camera displaying in the rear view mirror that I would not have to get that programmed. I don't mind running the wires myself, I just have been reading through the forums about it and one guy who has an 09 Sierra without the comfort and convenience package (that includes the prewiring for the mirror) wired it himself, but he not longer posts on the forum. I read the instructions from autostrata.com about hooking up their "OEM mirror kit" and it has some instructions about running wires from the MBEC to the mirror harness. If anyone has successfully done this please let me know. Thanks
Old August 1st, 2010, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default camera install??

Hi guys, been reading for a while but this is my first post. I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ and I am trying to install the backup camera. I dont want to break the back panel when trying to remove it (i.e. the one that is directly above the license plate with the Chevy bowtie on it) Do any of you have any advice on how to remove it? Do I need to unscrew the bulb cases? Any threads you can point me to with pics? All the ones i have found have the pics removed. THanks.
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Hope my PM info helped.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum. Hope my PM info helped.
I found it...thanks for the help Shark!
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...ht=back+camera
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by genestoy
For those that may be interested I did have to have the radio flashed for the back-up camera. The tech that originally did the flash after I installed the nav radio said that he looked for a camera in the RPO codes in the glovebox and that is what they go by. So anybody thinking they may want to add a camera later should tell the dealer to also flash it for the camerea even though you don't have one, and yes they CAN do it without the camera hooked up as my camera is not installed yet and the camera function in the nav radio works fine now!
Here is the info from the dealer computer -- the nav unit with no camera was originally flashed with the code #15260990 which means no camera and was then flashed to code #15260994 which is "For Avalanche/Escalade EXT with RPO UVC". This was for the Bose with Bose upgraded speaker package and no rear DVD/Entertainment system.
Does anyone know the code for a 07 Escalade with nav, cam, and rse? It was all added at he dealer and they can't get the cam to activate. The camera came in a new kit that gm has now that is the cam, harnesses, and module all in one box with install instructions. It however did not come with programming instructions, and their master techs can't get it figured out. They have had my car for going on a month now.
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello all!

Anyone have the factory rear view mirror camera and also made it display on the navigation screen too? If so what is process, wiring, etc? I am adding factory nav soon to my 2010 Yukon and want it to display on mirror as well as nav screen. Please let me know if this info already exists. If not TELL ME HOW NOW .
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Administrator

This is the first I've heard of this. Good luck.
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my question is why are you going to pay an extra amount of money for a mirror to display the image from your camera if you have the navigation? I understand that is an option if you don't have navigation, but why have both?
anyway in my case i have a '07 silverado LT no Bose, and i got a navi unit from a guy on craigslist here in nc, which I installed myself, then I printed the instructions on here on how to program it and took them to the dealer, left the truck there and went to work, a few hours later they called me and told me that it was up and running,
I guess they saw on the floor my monitor for the back up camera (the one I got at samsclub) and they realized that I use a back up camera and programed the head unit for a back up camera too, so i got a nice back up camera with night vision on ebay for 1c plus $17 shipping, total $17.01 which I installed myself with a harness that I got on ebay too, and the whole thing is working like it was installed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!
I guess is pure luck or I don't know but I don't know why many guys are having alot of trouble installing a back up camera, if it was very simple to me.
anyway I will post part #'s of the stuff I got in case you guys want to do the same install, let me know if you have any questions.
Old December 12th, 2010, 8:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quetranpa,
My vehicle had a factory build with the camera via the rear view mirror. I am adding factory nav and want the camera to display on the nav unit TOO.

A camera install is simple, and I was one of the first on the site to complete the installation of an aftermarket camera to a nav unit.

I want the camera to display on the nav unit because I am not impressed with the viewing angle through the rear view mirror. It is obviously smaller, but it also is a much more deceiving image. It doesnt provide a very wide image, seems as if it is distorted. It could just be my opinion, or seems like it is distorted because of the smaller viewing area.

I know this would be possible, I am guessing I would need to hook into the rca that comes with the VSS kit. However, I need to know where the positive/negative wire is from the camera to the mirror that I can easily tap into.
Old December 12th, 2010, 9:49 PM
Administrator

Is backup camera for the rear view mirror the same as the one for the nav? Thought might explain the different image.

Quick Reply: OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)