Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Onstar backup battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2011, 4:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onstar backup battery replacement

Have a dead onstar backup battery and want to have it replaced. Anyone know where to purchase?? Also procedures to replace it and approx cost
Old March 19th, 2011, 6:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with local service departments? The part lists for ~$93. Labor? It'll probably take longer to look up the procedure. See article OnStar Backup Battery - GM Techlink for how it may have happened.
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

twodogs47, have you been able to resolve this issue yet?

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 25th, 2011, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

The Onstar unit is in the trunk, on the driver's side. Pull the trunk lining carpet away from the side of the trunk, and you will see it. The back-up battery is mounted on the side of the unit with a special bracket. Follow the instructions on the tech sheet listed above to avoid the check-engine light becoming lit. The battery is the "Ultralife" brand and has a GM part number of 88861186. Cost is 54.04 from www.gmpartsdirect.com. Follow the instructions in the GM tech sheet listed above and do it yourself. Save the labor cost. I hope this helped!!
Old April 1st, 2011, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Got my new battery today, and had it installed in 10 minutes. No sweat!
Old September 29th, 2011, 8:44 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

My 2¢, if you are paying for On-Star the least they could do is provide you the battery at no cost.....Call them and tell them the battery is bad so you are canceling your subscription.....
Old January 18th, 2012, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Still working on it. have sent some emails to GM dealers with no response yet.
Old January 18th, 2012, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DavidS1206
The Onstar unit is in the trunk, on the driver's side. Pull the trunk lining carpet away from the side of the trunk, and you will see it. The back-up battery is mounted on the side of the unit with a special bracket. Follow the instructions on the tech sheet listed above to avoid the check-engine light becoming lit. The battery is the "Ultralife" brand and has a GM part number of 88861186. Cost is 54.04 from www.gmpartsdirect.com. Follow the instructions in the GM tech sheet listed above and do it yourself. Save the labor cost. I hope this helped!!
Thanks sounds simple enough.
Old January 26th, 2012, 5:59 PM
CF Junior Member

2dogs Have you found a battery yet? If not I have one I removed from my vehicle. If its the same your welcome to it.
Rod
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks Rods

Just received the BUB will install it soon. Thx again for the offer.<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 204418" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=125 align=center>Lifted07</TD><TD class=alt1>2dogs Have you found a battery yet? If not I have one I removed from my vehicle. If its the same your welcome to it.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 204418" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=125 align=center>Lifted07</TD><TD class=alt1>2dogs Have you found a battery yet? If not I have one I removed from my vehicle. If its the same your welcome to it.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Onstar backup battery replacement