Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 6:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Low Oil Pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2011, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure warning

I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a used 2008 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT. Drove the SUV for perhaps a 1000 miles currently have 11600 miles on the SUV and the low oil pressure warning came on saying shut off engine. My question is this normal for a Suburban with11600 miles to have a low oil pressure problem. Checked the oil and level is fine, no engine noise either . Had a certified ASE mechanic check out the problem and he seems to think the engine is bad internally?? I didn't drive the SUV when the warning light came on. Should I have the mechanic change the oil pressure sensor and change the oil and use 10w-40 instead of 5w-30?
Has anyone else had this problem and I'm not under the GM warranty anymore. The previous owner added some after market gadget on the SUV to get more mpg and that I was told wiped out the warranty??

Please help
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

First, the 5W30 is fine even if it's synthetic. Did the mechanic check the oil pressure w/ a mechanical gauge? By "the engine is bad internally", does he mean the oil pump is shot or something else?

What was the aftermarket gadget that the PO added?
Old April 20th, 2011, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Yes he used gauges and also put on a new oil pressure sensor and still zero oil pressure. I'm not sure what type of backwoods device they installed. It was
some small aluminum device with numbers on it thats suppose to add more mpr. We all know those things don't work. looks like I'll need another engine. If anyone know where I can buy a low mileage engine for a 2008 Chevy Suburban 5.3 please let me know. The current bad engine has 11500 miles on it.
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:16 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Subur2023, have you yet tried speaking with our Customer Assistance team about the issues you are having? They would be able to work with you and the dealership towards a resolution. If you would like I can setup a case for you. Just direct message me your contact information and I will handle it from there. I hope you are able to get this fixed.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm guessing you meant to put an extra zero behind those mileage numbers, meaning you have 115,000 miles and not 11,500... I think I'd put my money behind a new oil pump first before dropping 5k on a new engine....
New oil pump is less then $100.
Old April 21st, 2011, 9:33 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

On these engines w/o a distributor, do they drive the oil pump off the cam or something else?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks Jeff

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Subur2023, have you yet tried speaking with our Customer Assistance team about the issues you are having? They would be able to work with you and the dealership towards a resolution. If you would like I can setup a case for you. Just direct message me your contact information and I will handle it from there. I hope you are able to get this fixed.

Jeff how or what information do you need to assist with my case. I must admit I'm surprised with a newer SUV with 11,600 miles to have this issue. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Please advise.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
On these engines w/o a distributor, do they drive the oil pump off the cam or something else?
Runs off the crank..

@Subur2023, wow nice find for an 08 with less than 12k miles....
as CCS suggested I think I would get it in and see what coverage you might be eligible for...
Attached Thumbnails Low Oil Pressure warning-5.3l-oil-pump.jpg  
Old April 25th, 2011, 7:05 AM
CF Senior Member

is the oil pressure relief valve suck open?

Sean
97 4x4 burb
Old April 25th, 2011, 8:27 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Subur2023
Jeff how or what information do you need to assist with my case. I must admit I'm surprised with a newer SUV with 11,600 miles to have this issue. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Please advise.
The information I would need would be your name, address and phone number. If you could send this to me I would be able to set you up with a case today and one of our agents would give you a call within 2 business days. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure warning