Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Whats the best kind of oil for my chevy truck?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2011, 9:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best kind of oil for my chevy truck?

I drive a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 4wd Z71 and my oil gets super hot, im using delo 400 15W-40 and i have to add a quart of oil every once and a while, my truck burns lots of oil i guess, i dont see it leaking anywhere. Should i go fully synthetic?
Old May 5th, 2011, 9:42 PM
CF Junior Member

ya go fully synthetic and use royal purple. check your radiator fluid and make sure you have the right mixture in there. if its not coolin down your engine enough then that may be why. hopefully nothing is wrong with the engine block.

royal purple is the best of the best hands down, and you only have to change it every 10-12000 miles. i still change it every 3 though. also go with a fram extended protection filter, or k&n. Napa gold filters are good too if you have a napa anywhere close
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's normal for these silverados to burn a qt or so of oil durin changes so thats nothin to worry about...is there a reason you're usin 15w-40 though? I haven't seen people usin over a 10w-40 in these trucks and they never have a problem. I run royal purple 10w-30 and have to add a half qt or so between the changes
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd stay away from the 15w-40, as that viscosity is typically used for compression-ignition engines (i.e., diesels) and might be slightly thick for your Silverado gasser. Either 5w30 or 10w30 would probably be best for your truck, be it dino oil or synthetic.

An oil meant to be used in diesel engines will have "CG, CH or perhaps CJ" as a rating listed on the side of the bottle -- while oil for gasoline (spark) engines will have a rating of "SH, SJ, SK, etc., etc." printed on the label. I drive big rigs at work and they all call for 15w-40.

Use 5w30 in your Silverado and change both the oil AND filter every 3,000 miles and you should be good to go. That 5.3L engine should last a long, long time with proper care.

P.S. It is not out of the ordinary for that truck to 'burn' a quart of oil between changes.
Old May 8th, 2011, 7:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

a couple of things.
#1 never use fram oil filters. They are just cardboard on the inside.
#2 as mentioned with your coolant, make sure you are using 50/50, not 100%antifreeze.
All antifreeze does is just keep the water from freezeng (antifreeze)
whilst the water is what keeps your engine cool.

#3 not sure if it would be a good idea for your 2002, but in my '95 with 15x,xxx miles
using 20/50 I would only burn about 1 quart of oil in between changes.
I have always used Chevron oil (Chevron makes delo) and Chevron is a fantastic oil.
It containes addatives that actually help you get better gas mileage upon other benefits.
you can google it if interested.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Radiator fluid

Originally Posted by Hunt4X4
ya go fully synthetic and use royal purple. check your radiator fluid and make sure you have the right mixture in there. if its not coolin down your engine enough then that may be why. hopefully nothing is wrong with the engine block.

royal purple is the best of the best hands down, and you only have to change it every 10-12000 miles. i still change it every 3 though. also go with a fram extended protection filter, or k&n. Napa gold filters are good too if you have a napa anywhere close
I buy the 50/50 premixed radiator fluid and i use the orange color one, my Temp on my dash is normal, its at 210.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by country_09
it's normal for these silverados to burn a qt or so of oil durin changes so thats nothin to worry about...is there a reason you're usin 15w-40 though? I haven't seen people usin over a 10w-40 in these trucks and they never have a problem. I run royal purple 10w-30 and have to add a half qt or so between the changes
Not really a reason why i was using 15w-40, just used it because it was the delo 400 heavy duty motor oil and thats what my great uncle uses in his drag cars so i just thought id give it a try or somethin.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Oil filters

Originally Posted by JK23112

I'd stay away from the 15w-40, as that viscosity is typically used for compression-ignition engines (i.e., diesels) and might be slightly thick for your Silverado gasser. Either 5w30 or 10w30 would probably be best for your truck, be it dino oil or synthetic.

An oil meant to be used in diesel engines will have "CG, CH or perhaps CJ" as a rating listed on the side of the bottle -- while oil for gasoline (spark) engines will have a rating of "SH, SJ, SK, etc., etc." printed on the label. I drive big rigs at work and they all call for 15w-40.

Use 5w30 in your Silverado and change both the oil AND filter every 3,000 miles and you should be good to go. That 5.3L engine should last a long, long time with proper care.

P.S. It is not out of the ordinary for that truck to 'burn' a quart of oil between changes.
Im useing Mobil 1 extended performance oil filters, but im gonna use K&N next time since i herd that that oil filter is a step up from Mobil 1.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Ive made up my mind

Im planning on using Royal purple Synthetic and K&N Oil Filter, was wondering on the Synthetic part, is the royal purple 5w-30 synthetic? or would the 0w-40 be best?
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM
CF Active Member

[quote=Mille Racer 69;180854]a couple of things.
#1 never use fram oil filters. They are just cardboard on the inside.
#2 as mentioned with your coolant, make sure you are using 50/50, not 100%antifreeze.
All antifreeze does is just keep the water from freezeng (antifreeze)
whilst the water is what keeps your engine cool.

quote]

Antifreeze doesn't just keep your water from freezing, it also raises the temperature your water boils at, which is a little extra protection if your engine gets too hot. It also has additives that clean the system.

Quick Reply: Whats the best kind of oil for my chevy truck?