Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
View Poll Results: Does your car lunge forward when started?
Yes
40.00%
No
60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Car lunges forward when started

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car lunges forward when started

I have a 2008 Chevy Impala LT (4 door, FWD) that recently has started to intermittenly lunge forward when started. The car is in park and it does this sometimes when I use the remote starter or manually start it up. I purchased this car new and it did not do this the first two years that I owned it. GM has a service bulleting out that claims this is normal and they recommend that one always use the parking brake. I do not believe this a normal as I have been driving for 50 years and have never had a car do this before. They say that there is no need to fix this problem.

My son thinks it is a transmission problem which is my opinion also. Or could it be the powertrain control module that is faulty? Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to get it fixed?
Old May 25th, 2011, 8:29 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by elpost
I have a 2008 Chevy Impala LT (4 door, FWD) that recently has started to intermittenly lunge forward when started. The car is in park and it does this sometimes when I use the remote starter or manually start it up. I purchased this car new and it did not do this the first two years that I owned it. GM has a service bulleting out that claims this is normal and they recommend that one always use the parking brake. I do not believe this a normal as I have been driving for 50 years and have never had a car do this before. They say that there is no need to fix this problem.

My son thinks it is a transmission problem which is my opinion also. Or could it be the powertrain control module that is faulty? Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to get it fixed?
Elpost,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. Did your dealership tell you about this issue being normal?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 26th, 2011, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Elpost,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. Did your dealership tell you about this issue being normal?

Thank you!

Chevrolet has a service bulletin that states this is "normal". I do not agree with this statement as it did not do this the first two years. I've been driving for 50 years and even clunkers that I have owned did not do this!
Old May 26th, 2011, 1:37 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by elpost
Chevrolet has a service bulletin that states this is "normal". I do not agree with this statement as it did not do this the first two years. I've been driving for 50 years and even clunkers that I have owned did not do this!

Elpost,

I am going to set up a case for you for further review. If you would please private message me with your VIN, current mileage and full address along with your e-mail and home phone number I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Old March 6th, 2014, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

I also experience my 2009 Impala LTZ ocassionally lunges forward when I use my remote start. What is causing this?
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by shall820
I also experience my 2009 Impala LTZ ocassionally lunges forward when I use my remote start. What is causing this?
Hello shall820,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern. I understand you are looking for advice from the forum, but if you are willing to work with a local dealership, please let us know so we can assist throughout that process. We rely on our GM certified dealerships for their technical expertise and as our eyes and ears in the field. To further discuss your situation, please send us a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and current mileage.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Service; March 7th, 2014 at 12:48 PM.