Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2012, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post to Equinox forum, as well as the Chevrolet Forum in general. Please bear with me if I get too wordy...

My wife and I own a 2010 Equinox LT FWD purchased in January 2010. The "raspy rattle" that everyone is talking about became a problem for our vehicle approximately one year after we purchased the vehicle. Several times, we had the car serviced at a local service station and I would always ask, "What is the sound coming from in the engine compatment?" And the answers I usually received, from the same service station, were the same as most of the answers I've read here; 'there is nothing wrong, they can't find the source...', whatever the case may be. However, efficiency of the vehicle did not seem to be compromised in any way(25mpg around town and 29mpg highway). The car presently has 48K miles on it.

Finally, last week, I decided to take the car to another service station that services my other vehicles. I asked for an oil change, tire rotation, and transmission service. The technician who performed the service advised me that he THINKS there is a problem with the AC compressor as there is an unusual amount of noise coming from that area. I told my technician Sal, thank you very much and that I would look into it right away. FINALLY, I had some sort of answer to the "raspy, rattle".

The very next day, as I'm driving on 12th Avenue, in NYC, the "check engine" light comes on. It stays on throughout my drive as I have to drive approximately 80 miles to the east to eastern Long Island.

My wife called Eagle Chevrolet in Riverhead, NY. She states the issues and evidence to the service department regarding the Equinox.

The car is brought in for service last Friday (7/27/12). That afternoon we are told the car needs a new Timing Chain and Timing Chain Tensioner. Further, we are told this has been a common defect coming from the factory for this year of vehicle. The service manager stated, after some questioning from me, his dealership has replaced at least 25 timing chains off the Equinox. He also said the problem presents itself anywhere from 5K miles to 80K miles, based on the experience from his dealership. He told us the repair was covered under the powertrain warranty and there would be no cost for the service.

We expect to have the vehicle back either tomorrow (7/31/12) or Wednesday(8/1/12).

I promise to keep everyone informed of the results of this service.

**Again, sorry for the long FIRST post**
Old July 31st, 2012, 6:19 AM
CF Beginner

The Equinox is now getting a new fuel pump at the engine.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

As promised, I would like to let everyone know the results of our service visit where the timing chain and tensioner were replaced.

As a result, virtually all the "raspy rattle" noises have gone away. I can actually hear the motor and it seems to run MUCH smoother now.

The error code received on the Check Engine light was P0324.

I hope this information is helpful to any and all Equinox owners that are experiencing this same issue.
Old August 6th, 2012, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I thought all was lost...the chevy dealer I just took my vehicle too inspected the vehicle and stated it needed a whole new engine. I thought all hope was lost...they informed me that this is a common problem and they have installed quite a few of late with the same problem. I am optimistic that GM has modified that engine type so that these issues don't happen again with the new engine. I am thankful that they are now handling the situation. I'll keep everyone posted after the new engine has been installed and how it runs.

Originally Posted by eventsman
I too am frustrated with my 2010 Chevy Equinox. My dad worked for general motors for 30 years and our family drove nothing but chevy's. I've had chevy trucks and other vehicles and was so excited to get the Equinox but now am stuck with a vehicle that will be short lived.

A car that was supposed to be able to run for 10,000 miles between oil changes yet after driving for just a few thousand miles it needs a quart of oil. The engine has an awful pinging sound and idles terrible and stalls out from time to time.

I have it to two different dealerships and they all say the same thing. The ping sound is normal. Why can no one tell me why it burns so much oil? I now have over 77,000 miles on it and no way to trade it in and no warranty it's just a matter of time.

After being a loyal chevy user my whole life...it's sad to say but I'm going to look elsewhere in the future. An honest manufacturer would admit a problem and deal with it...but they choose to sweep it under the rug. It's more than a coincidence that so many people are experiencing the same problems.
Old August 18th, 2012, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

So far so good, one week of running with the new engine and all is well.

Originally Posted by eventsman
Well, I thought all was lost...the chevy dealer I just took my vehicle too inspected the vehicle and stated it needed a whole new engine. I thought all hope was lost...they informed me that this is a common problem and they have installed quite a few of late with the same problem. I am optimistic that GM has modified that engine type so that these issues don't happen again with the new engine. I am thankful that they are now handling the situation. I'll keep everyone posted after the new engine has been installed and how it runs.
Old August 29th, 2012, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Folks...

Before I buy a used 2011 or 2012 Equinox ... are these problems on 2010 model years and earlier? Does anyone have these issues with 2011 or 2012 4 cyl. models. I am getting a little nervous about buying one of these cars.
Thanks
Old August 30th, 2012, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 70cst
Folks...

Before I buy a used 2011 or 2012 Equinox ... are these problems on 2010 model years and earlier? Does anyone have these issues with 2011 or 2012 4 cyl. models. I am getting a little nervous about buying one of these cars.
Thanks
Don't buy one. Go look at the Ford Edge. You will thank me later.
Old August 31st, 2012, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Hashbrownn
Don't buy one. Go look at the Ford Edge. You will thank me later.
It needs to be a GM vehicle as I do business with GM assembly plants.
Old August 31st, 2012, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Don't buy one. Because I am finding out right now that if there is something wrong with it, it's going to be a battle to get GM to admit it.

We traded in my wife's 2002 Honda CR-V with 152,000 miles on it because we wanted something new and this 2010 runs and has problems like it's older and has more miles than said CR-V.

And so far GM hasn't been too helpful I gotta say. Do yourself a favor and save yourself headaches.
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

If you like them go for it I have a 2010, 2LT,4 cyl I bought new and had the rattle I brought it to Eagle Chev in Riverhead by me,about 1.5 yrs ago and I told them it sounded like a loose timing chain, Tech checked anf they replaced thje chain and several other parts and its been good ever since no complaints. In 2011 my wife bought a 2011 LTZ 4 cyl and has not had any issues with at all, just recentely my son bought a 2012 LTZ,4 cyl and so far is very happy with it. When people ask me how it is I just tell then how satified my family is with them.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay