Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Got spark and gas, no start

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2011, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got spark and gas, no start

Hi guys and gals,
I've got a 2003 Cavalier (2.2l DOHC) that is getting spark and fuel but won't start. The engine seems to turn over just fine but it just won't go. When I give it some gas the engine sputters a bit and I get a combination of light smoke and raw fuel out of the exhaust pipe.

This problem started right after I replaced the head gasket; couldn't get the car to start after putting it back together. The only hiccup during the head gasket was with the timing chain. The chain should have had one copper link and two silver links to line up with the intake, exhaust and crankshaft sprockets respectively. Problem was that the links on my chain were all the same color. A local auto part store was nice enough to let me look at a new chain so I counted the number of links between the colored links (14 links between exhaust and intake timing marks, 26 between intake/crankshaft and 31 between exhaust/crankshaft). I marked some links on my chain and installed it accordingly. Hand-cranked the engine a few times and everything sounded fine.

Other than the chain, everything came apart and went back together like a dream; no extra pieces and no broken parts. But it would seem to me that no start problem must be related to my playing mechanic since the car started just fine before I tore it apart. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like the cam timings are off. I suspect you'll see horrible compression numbers. See if the article Revised Timing Chain and Service Procedures For GM 2.2L L61 Ecotec: Engine Builder will help you.
Old August 7th, 2011, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like the cam timings are off. I suspect you'll see horrible compression numbers. See if the article Revised Timing Chain and Service Procedures For GM 2.2L L61 Ecotec: Engine Builder will help you.
Thanks for the info. That looked like the same procedure that I used but I'll try a compression test to confirm.