Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

My headlights and turn signals work but taillights and dashboard lights don't! Help

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2011, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My headlights and turn signals work but taillights and dashboard lights don't! Help

This has been happening for about 2 months. Some time they would work and sometimes they would not. Now they permanently don't work. Its dangerous driving at night now. Is this something I can fix?! Thanks
Old September 15th, 2011, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a 1995 Caprice Classic 4.3 Liter.
Old November 13th, 2011, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K.i.s.s.

I've got a '79 so the electrical system is obviously different. All my lights work properly but the dash lights don't always turn on. My light switch is the two-stage push/pull style. Pushed in is off, one click out is marker lights, and the second is headlights. The dimmer is also internal to this switch. When the dash lights don't turn on, I twist or wiggle the switch a bit and they light up. If they were to ever totally fail, I'll know to replace the 32 year-old switch. I haven't investigated my fuse panel much since I've had no electrical issues except for a no-start situation which was identified and corrected immediately upon popping the hood to discover excessive corrosion on the positive battery terminal. Despite my current luck, I've owned other vehicles in the past with electrical problems and from my experience, I follow the K.I.S.S. rule: "Keep It Simple, Stupid". Investigate the easiest things first, i.e. blown light bulbs, fuses, ground wires, relays, switches, and so on before tearing apart the dash or tail light assembly!! Also, generic repair manuals are helpful but the OEM repair manuals are the best. I'm searching for one for my car with little luck but a '95 manual should be easier to get a hold of; you might even be able to order one from your local dealer's parts department. Lighting issues are generally simple to fix in comparison to electronic engine, transmission, or ABS issues. A blown bulb or fuse can cause all kinds of other problems, also loose or corroded wires or connections can do the same, so put your thinking cap on and good luck. Just watch, when you find the problem, you'll probably say, "Duh, that was easy!"