Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

If I buy a GM Tech II Programmer...?

Old January 6th, 2007, 4:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If I buy a GM Tech II Programmer...?

I'm really thinking about buying a GM Tech II programmer. I'm tired of service departments not knowing what's going on. Sometimes I feel that I'm actually smarter than most techs that work in the service departments at dealerships. And if I'm not any smarter, at least I'll care more, and take the time to figure it out because it's my own vehicle.

If I pick up the Tech II programmer and the latest TIS software (Version 6.5) along with a 12-month subscription to the authentic GM aftermarket Expertec TIS software on CD-ROM disks, is that all I'll need? Is there something more the dealership has? Are they able to connect to a website that has the latest stuff, that I won't have access to, or will the 12 month TIS subscription suffice? Maybe even that subscription comes along with web access?

I guess the simple way to ask this question is, can I basically get the exact same information that the dealership gets?

Just trying to figure out the protocol. Once I understand how it works I'll be cool. I know there are people on the forum that work at dealerships and understand how it all works hence the questions.

Standing by...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5036/67B40A62D837454697216751F12EE815.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5036/F8799212B74F481F950BF149E9A99520.gif[/IMG]
Old January 6th, 2007, 4:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: If I buy a GM Tech II Programmer...?

How much would one set you back?
Old January 6th, 2007, 4:33 AM
CF Senior Member

I've seen them as low as $1200 all the way up to $4000. They're on ebay all of the time.
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im glad my shop has one that i can borrow if needed. its too expensive to get your computer read in my opinion.
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

I've comtemplated this myself, but from the looks of it, it seems that the computer is being updated all the time. I could be wrong......
Old January 6th, 2007, 2:19 PM
CF Senior Member

That's great that your shop has one. Did you know anything about how it works, the updates that is? Are the techs connecting to the Internet each and everytime or does GM just send out new discs all of the time?
Old January 6th, 2007, 6:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TMW,

I would have to think it would be electronic updates, I would think that any other form would be way to slow. I imagine everything is done over a GM database or someting? Dont you think?
Old January 6th, 2007, 8:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Yes, that's exactly what I think. Now with this tread started, I"m hoping to get confirmation of just that. Again, just want to know if I have my own mechanic shop, and own the Tech II machine, will I be extended the same courtesy as a dealership with the updates in order to repair vehicles.
Old January 6th, 2007, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Guys I don't think that I would but a Tech 2 yet. GM is going to be replacing their diagnostic tool soon. The new tool will be PC based. It will consist of a VCI (vehicle communication interface) that will connect between the OBD 2 diagnostic connector and a laptop or palm pilot. Some of the 08 platforms will use it and plans are for all to by 2010.
In order to update a Tech 2 or to get reprograming info requires a subscription to TIS 2000. An expensive subscription. Updates are released quarterly on DVDs. They cannot be copied! The dealers update through dealer world on the internet.
Old January 6th, 2007, 8:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Thank you for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If I buy a GM Tech II Programmer...?