Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado 2500 tire pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2011, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado 2500 tire pressure issues

Hello everyone , this is my first visit here to the forum.
I am having some issues with my tire pressure monitors I think
First off I put new tires on my 2500 on factory wheels , 285/70/16 D
They came with E rated tires but I dont haul anything heavy and those tires rode like crap so I went with a little bigger tire and the ride was 10X better , anyway my tire pressure warning light came on for both rears
Took it back to the dealer and they said they fixed it . Their fix was 78 psi in the rears to reset the sensor , These are 65 psi max tires , and to be honest with you the only reason I knew they had to much air was the ride had changed and it was back to a rough ride so i checked the pressure and low and behold it was way to high so I took them back down to 60# and now the sensors are back on , my understanding is that these sensors are 80# sensors in the rear wheels . Do they need changed to a lower sensor ? Im not going to break the belts or have bulges in the sidewalls on these tires to keep the sensors from coming on and I shouldnt have to . Whats the easiest fix so i can take it back to the dealer ship and have them do it right instead of jerry rigging it to make it
" fixed"
Thanks PH
Old December 9th, 2011, 5:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like your sensors are working properly. If your receiver is programmed for 78, and the tires are lowered to 60, the light should come on! Your system thinks the tires are low!

The dealer needs to program the receiver (RCDL)to the 60lb pressure you want.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Dealer wont program module for lower presure due to liability issues.(U loan truck to somebody then they overload tires one blows out bad acciddent and everbody starts sueing)sucks but thats the unfortunate reality of today.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 1:59 PM
CF Junior Member

that what happen when goverment step in
Old January 3rd, 2012, 8:40 PM
CF Active Member

I don't think it's exactly a sensor issue, but a computer that is reading the sensers. The numbers can be readjusted. I believe you can get a device that plugs into your computer and do it yourself but you will have to spend one or two hundred dollars or you can find a shop or someone to do it for you.
Old January 4th, 2012, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Yes that is right sensors are good Remote cotrol door lock reciever needs to be programed(RCDLR).Tech2 is what is used,otcGenisys wont do it and im not sure about snap ons bi-directional scanner.If your in Houston Area send me a PM.
Old January 5th, 2012, 9:59 AM
CF Active Member

It's funny isn't it, you could just look at the numbers when the reading pops up and then push a button or two to get the read out to return to where you like it, but it gets to be such an inconvience!
Old February 16th, 2012, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default TPMS Reset

The Dealer will reset them for the lower pressures for a price. I had mine done. Discount tire will also do it.
Old February 18th, 2012, 7:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xpeder
that what happen when goverment step in
A dealer not wanting to get sued by the parent or children of someone who has a blowout and crashes the vehicle and dies has nothing to do with the government. Tire pressure sensors are primarily in place to save fuel wasted with under inflated tires.

Lots of people died with the Bridgestone tires blowing up on the Ford Explorer SUV and it was a screw up by the Ford engineers who designed the suspension improperly and then tried to fix the problem by recommending a tire pressure that was too low and caused too much sidewall flexing with a full load at highway speeds.

There are dealers who are reprogramming the tire sensor trigger points and lot of references on the Web on the procedure.

If you check the tire manufacturers like Firestone that made the tires on my truck, the load rating is quite different for an unloaded truck than the tire pressure recommendations from the factory which assume a maximum number of passengers and load in the bed. Based on the Firestone load ratings for my truck's tires I should be running 45-50 PSI in them but Chevrolet recommends 65 front and 80 rear.

I do not understand why so many people want to blame "the government" when it is corporations running our country (and into the ground I might add).
Old February 19th, 2012, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

To elkhorn,as a GM tech for the last 18 years i didnt join here to argue just to help when i can.The Tread Act (tpms)was started during Clinton era for safety not fuel economy due to Ford and Firestones problem.Correction for problem is to add tpms because consumer to lazy or not smart enough to keep tires properly inflated(Government Mandate not Coroprate Greed).In the Houston area Most dealers will not program due to liability if you have a good relationship with them they probably will again under inflation or overloaded tires(c/k2500 made to carry heavy load not groceries)causes excessive side wall heat then they blow out.Government and Lawyers are the problem spill hot coffe on yourself sue,cant get home loan because you dont make enough sue fanny and freddy so your worthless **** can get loan,cant pay mortgage corporations fault for giving u loan,to stupid to pay for ins.goverment will,need condoms instead of closing legs dont worry we gotcha.Sorry for rant again was trying to give somebody a little help and insight

Quick Reply: Silverado 2500 tire pressure issues