Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Changing out Struts on 07 LTZ

Old January 5th, 2012, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing out Struts on 07 LTZ

Well, the pojects continue on the suburban. While shopping for a rear bumper cover, I have replaced the two trans cooler lines, the serpentine belt, A/C belt, tensioners and idler. Now I have a blown front strut which needs to be replaced. I did some searches on this but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, has anyone replaced their front struts on their suburbans or Tahoes? How did it go if you did? Any advice given would be greatly appreciated. I have to get a spring compressor and the struts yet but I'm looking to do this next weekend.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 6th, 2012, 2:33 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

My apologies if I missed a previous post but why all of the parts replacement on an 07 already?
I didn't realize the front shock was a strut but now I know....

FYI

Tighten
For vehicles equipped with electronic suspension, tighten the shock absorber nut to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).
Tighten
For vehicles equipped with electronic suspension, tighten the electrical connector to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).
Tighten
For vehicles without electronic suspension, tighten the shock absorber nut to 60 N·m (44 lb ft).
Old January 6th, 2012, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Tell me about it. An 07 should not need this much work. The trans cooler line (return line) was leaking so I replaced both of them since I was already down there (plus I saw this is a common problem with our vehicles). The serpentine belt was squealing pretty good. The A/C belt was cracked and the tensioner was bouncing back and forth while the engine was running. So I just went ahead and replaced everything becuase past experience has taught me to change everything at once. Besides, the burb has over 77,000 miles on it so it was due anyway.

BTW, thanks for the torque specs.
Old January 8th, 2012, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Any advice on what kind of struts to use. I see a lot of guys like Bilsteins but with the electronic suspension I'd like to see if people have used bilsteins or prefer something else?
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Just an update, I called around today to many parts stores (summit, jegs, etc.) and they all said with the electonic suspension and the leveling shocks (confirmed by the dealership) that I would have to get them from the dealership. After talking with the dealership I got a price, $480.00 for each one...ouch!!!! The dealership was kind enough to give me a part number so I priced around and found them online for $468.00 for both shipped to my house. That just goes to show you that the dealerships do rip you off, but then again we already knew that anyways.
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Did you ask if the air shocks could be replaced w/ standard shocks? I know that the error message would have to be dealt with. But I'd think the mounting would be the same.
Old January 10th, 2012, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Did you ask if the air shocks could be replaced w/ standard shocks? I know that the error message would have to be dealt with. But I'd think the mounting would be the same.
I didn't ask but I know it can be done. I just wanted to keep everything OEM, to include the electronic suspension. But to answer your question, I believe the mounting wouldn't change.
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Administrator

The reason I asked was because my daughter's '04 Denali needs new shocks and no way can she afford a couple of grand. I'll have to check on how much it'd cost to reprogram.
Old January 11th, 2012, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

I was able to find the OEM replacements shipped to my door for $475.00. I ended up finding a local garage here in vegas who said they would install them for $60.00. Can't beat that. If you're interested, I got the replacement struts from Auto Parts Tomorrow | ACDelco, Bendix Brakes, Denso, Motorcraft and more. Just give them your VIN and they'll provide the correct part number. I doubled checked with the dealership to confirm the part number just to make sure they were providing the correct replacements. Let me know if you need anything else. Good Luck!!!
Old January 11th, 2012, 9:19 PM
Administrator

Was that each or for all four? The rears looked like $236 ea. Wasn't sure which front one as there were several but no explanation as to what the differences were.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing out Struts on 07 LTZ