Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

lift gate won't open

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2012, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift gate won't open

I have checked the #4 fuse and there is no power to it with key on or off. All the other fuses have power to them. I would like to know where the power comes from and how to remove the fuse panel to see the connections in behind it.

Thanks Bob
Old February 4th, 2012, 9:52 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by black99gm
I have checked the #4 fuse and there is no power to it with key on or off. All the other fuses have power to them. I would like to know where the power comes from and how to remove the fuse panel to see the connections in behind it.

Thanks Bob
What year?
Old February 4th, 2012, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

2007 sorry forgot that info
Old February 5th, 2012, 1:02 AM
CF Pro Member

FWIW, our liftgate started working intermittently when the battery started to go bad in December 2010. So if you haven't replaced your battery yet, I'd at least get it load tested at your local auto parts store. If it is bad I'd strongly recommend only replacing it with an AC Delco p/n 47-7YR (same as factory installed battery). I say this because the factory battery is rated for 650CCA while all replacements I've found are 600CCA or less. I see you're from Canada so you'll want the most powerful battery you can find. Oddly enough, this is one of the very few applications in which the factory-equipped battery provides the most power.

If the battery checks out OK....

I have attached a diagram for the liftgate switch circuit for you below.

2007 Equinox liftgate switch circuit.pdf

It appears that the latch is activated when the liftgate switch grounds out the "Rear Closure Handle Open Signal" wire going to the BCM. That tells the BCM to output power to the coil for the "Liftgate PCB Relay" which closes the relay and allows power to flow from this relay to "L/Gate Fuse 4".

You'll need a helper when testing the circuit for fuse #4 because the power wire terminal at fuse #4 will only be hot when the switch at the liftgate is being pressed (assuming the liftgate switch and BCM are functioning correctly).

If you get power at the fuse terminal while someone is holding the switch, then you likely have a bad latch.

If you don't get any power then you need to try to bypass the liftgate switch by grounding out the "Rear Closure Handle Open Signal" wire. If the latch works when the switch is bypassed then obviously the liftgate switch is bad.

If when bypassing the switch you still don't have any power at the fuse, then the "Liftgate PCB Relay" is likely bad. Unfortunately, it is not serviceable and would require replacement of the entire instrument panel fuse block since this relay is integral to the fuse block.

If one were skilled enough, it may be possible to bypass the internal relay and correctly install an external relay to function in its place. This would obviously be a much less expensive option if necessary.

To get to the back side of the fuse panel you need to remove the console and the panels on either side of the shifter tower.

I've also attached instructions for replacing the IP fuse block below.

IP fuse block replacement.pdf

Good luck!

Last edited by ruley73; March 22nd, 2016 at 5:34 PM. Reason: grammar corrections
The following users liked this post:
therewolf (February 20th, 2021)
Old February 5th, 2012, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info Ruley73. I will have to look at it during the week today is not a good day because of a superbowl party. Even up here in the frozen north we watch the superbowl. PS Yesterday I tried testing the fuse with the switch being pressed and had no power to it.

Thanks again Bob
Old February 20th, 2012, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

I finaly got a chance to work on this problem, (weather & the wheels always turning). It is a faulty switch. Do you know if this is a dealer only item?

Thanks Bob
Old February 20th, 2012, 7:05 PM
CF Pro Member

The replacement part is GM p/n 10322831. It looks like your local chevy dealership will charge you ~$30. Only one aftermarket alternative is widely available and that would be AC-Delco D1428E. It can be had from RockAuto or ebay for about $21 shipped.

Glad to see you found the issue.

To anyone else reading this: The parts listed here will only fit 2007-2009 Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent.
The following users liked this post:
therewolf (February 20th, 2021)
Old February 20th, 2021, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hey everone

Somebody can help me ? Im have one Chevy equinox lt 3.4l fwd 2009 and i have the same problem
Old February 22nd, 2021, 4:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Christian Toledo
Somebody can help me ? Im have one Chevy equinox lt 3.4l fwd 2009 and i have the same problem
The potential causes, potential solutions, and troubleshooting steps have already been discussed. If your vehicle has the same problem, there isn't much more we can do to help you with the limited information provided.

What have you done to troubleshoot the problem?

How old is the battery? They don't last very long in these vehicles. They last 5 years tops if you're really lucky. Our 2007 (manufactured 11/2006) just had it's fourth battery installed last fall to put it in perspective.