Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox Problems Starting

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2012, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox Problems Starting

If I drive a short distance (5-10 miles) and leave the car off for about an hour it has problems starting back up. I turn the key, the car struggles to start and then a sputters a little bit when it does (maybe for 2 seconds). If I press the gas pedal at all while trying to start that seems to solve the problem (and doesn't sputter). I have taken it into multiple dealers multiple times on warranty, but they haven't been able to solve it. The problem does seem to be less prevalent since the work they have done, but it still happens. This is what the dealers all have tried or have noted:

- Scanned for code errors. Found none.
- Flush Injectors
- Fuel Pressure Holds
- Cleaned Excessive Carbon Build up out of Throttle Body, because they believe the vehicle wasn't receiving sufficient air
- Found #6 injector to be leaking and replaced

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old February 11th, 2012, 8:34 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd like more details.

Does the problem occur during cold starts (i.e.after it's been sitting overnight?. If so is it better? Worse?
How many miles are on it?
How has it been doing this/when did it start?
How does it struggle to start? Does it turn over for a long time (greater than two seconds) before it starts?
What parts if any have been replaced?
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

I have never had it happen when it sits overnight. it has 80,000 miles on it. I have had the vehicle for about a year and a half and it has pretty much been doing it since the beginning. It struggles to start by keeping on turning over and when it does start it sputters for a little bit. It turns over for two seconds or less. The only thing that I know they have done I listed above. Thanks for your help.
Old February 13th, 2012, 8:47 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> wmaleck,

Do any warning lights coming on? Does this happen every time you shut the vehicle off for an hour or more? The fuel pump is a possibility. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

Please keep us updated on what your technician may find. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 13th, 2012, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Louis, no warning lights come on when it starts as described above. Also, from what I remember it does it pretty much every time when I shut the vehicle off for about an hour. Of course the weather is always different here in Wisconsin, so when its colder it doesn't always happen. They were able to recreate the problem at the dealership before the last corrective action.

This vehicle was GM certified used, but the warranty ran out in September. Will this still be covered if I take it back in the to the dealer? I taken it in about 4 times total to two different dealerships and they haven't been able to resolve the problem. It is very inconvenient for me to continually have to take my vehicle in just so they can "try" something, which is why the warranty has lapsed. There was about a half of dozen other problems that have been resolved.

Thanks.
Old February 14th, 2012, 2:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> wmaleck,

I cannot guarantee that the work would be covered outside of the warranty. You would have to speak with your dealer in regards to that. They may take into consideration that you have already been there for the same issue before. However, I cannot make any guarantees.

Louis
GM Customer Service