Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban Misfire

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2012, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Suburban Misfire

I have a 99 Suburban with 5.7LV8. Bought it last year with 155k on it and ran great for almost a year. Started misfiring bad and discovered cat on passenger side blown out. Replaced it along with fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and still having misfire. Have an OTC computer to scan codes and engine diagnostics. Current codes are P0300B, P0155, and P0101. While watching engine test with it running, always misfires on Cyl 4 and 6. Mass Air Flow is at 9 g/s at idle. Misfire is noticeable at all times, but smooths out some at highway speeds. Gas mileage is terrible and gas smell is very strong at idle in the driveway. Can test almost anything with the computer I have, but have nothing to tell me what is acceptable numbers. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated as this is my wife's daily driver!!
<!-- / message -->
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Try cleaning the Mass airflow sensor if that doesn't work it might need to be replaced its probably causing the PO300 also,the PO155 is probably a bad heater in that O2 sensor i had three of them fail on different make cars last year unless theres a problem with the wiring going to it you have to replace it to fix that code
Old February 28th, 2012, 5:32 PM
CF Junior Member

If it's always cyl 4 and 6, not any others, you wouldn't think fuel injectors?
Old February 28th, 2012, 5:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly a head gasket problem. A compression test would prove or disprove an air leak between the adjacent cylinders.
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Compression checked out good on all 8 cylinders. Replaced the MAF sensor with no luck. Any test I can do on the O2 sensors?
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Okay, then, the bank 2 pre-catalyst O2 sensor is wired up as follows:

Terminal A, TAN wire, H2OS LOW, VCM connector C1, terminal 7
Terminal B, PPL wire, H2OS SIG, VCM connector C1, terminal 21
Terminal C, BLK wire, H2OS HTR, ENG1 fuse in underhood fuse block
Terminal D, PNK wire, H2OS HTR, ground

The voltage across terminals B and A should be 450 mV (0.45 V) and C and D, close to the battery voltage with key on, engine off. You may want to post the freeze frame data for each code so we have a better picture of what's going on.
Old March 11th, 2012, 7:38 PM
CF Junior Member

I finally got my miss out by changing distributor gear, it was worn to a knife edge. I can't remember the code #, but it was a "camshaft & crankshaft corilation" fault code.
Old March 12th, 2012, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

I don't have a factory service manual for this vehicle. Can you tell me where the VCM is located? Thanks
Old March 12th, 2012, 6:36 PM
CF Veteran

Check the top of the driver side fender under the hood.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

A mechanic friend suggested I upgrade to the CBI for about $300. The fuel smell is very noticeable now even with the vehicle not running. He said I could tear into the existing injection set up, but if I found problems I would be ahead to upgrade regardless. Would this be a good investment even if this isn't my misfire problem? Thxs

Quick Reply: 99 Suburban Misfire