Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 chevy 350 2500 stalls when at a stop

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2012, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 94 chevy 350 2500 stalls when at a stop

My husbands truck is stalling when he stops at a light or when he pulls into the driveway. We have done a lot of work to his truck. We have changed fuel pump and filter, egr valve, o2 sensor, distributor cap, wires spark plugs, the actual distributor, intake gasket, timing chain and the coolant temp sensor as well. We set the TDC and made sure the timing was set to 0 with the tan with black stripe on it unplugged. After all of this, his truck has great power when he is just driving around but soon as he stops it stalls. Today he actually put some cleaner in with the fuel to see if that makes a difference.
If anyone at all has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 29th, 2012, 4:52 PM
CF Junior Member

I would try to advance my timing just a little. This shouid increase your engine idle speed. It sounds like it may be a little low.
Old March 29th, 2012, 7:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Idle air control valve?if you come to a stop can you use the gas pedal to keep it idling in gear,will it idle in neutral?
Old March 31st, 2012, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

I am having this same exact problem with my recent engine swap! I have a 1978 El Camino that was originally the 5.0 carb. Found a 94 Suburban and used the 350 drive train and TBI. It's is running excellent except for this stalling issue. The only time it stalls on me is when sitting at idle. Normally, it will strike after a drive on the freeway where my RPMs are above 2000. Once I come to a stop and sit for too long the idle gets real low. It bounces between 400 and 600, then cuts out. I am expecting it now every time I pull up to a red light so I go into neutral and give it a little gas to keep her running. I too have a brand new fuel pump and filter, during the swap phase. I have a new aftermarket distributor and heard maybe the aftermarket pickup coil could be the culprit. My boss at the shop I work at thinks it could be this bad pick up coil and they're like $45 from Chevrolet. Haven't gotten around to getting one but Natacha maybe you guys could try that. If anyone else has any more ideas, I'd be very grateful for a reply.
Thanks
Tyler
Old April 1st, 2012, 9:16 AM
CF Active Member

It maybe could be a small vacuum leak that sucks to much air in at a stop when the rpms are down and its choking the motor whe you try to go. just a thought though
Old April 2nd, 2012, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

So we adjusted the timming and it was great! But now today my hubby blew up another muffler. So the problem isn't fixed yet. We have decided to take it into a shop and let him do the timing for us and to look over the truck to make sure everything is right from the last mechanic. Just to make sure what should the gap be on the spark plugs for this truck?
I'll post back here when we figure more out
Old April 2nd, 2012, 5:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm,

It's backfiring and blowing out the muffler? This is a primary ignition issue. IE; ignition switch, ignition module, pickup, bad wiring, etc.

Allan