Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2012, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

Hi,

Recently bought a 2005 Uplander. Assuming that the engine temperature gauge reads as Cold-0, Hot-1 and Middle-0.5, when the car is in operating temperature, the needle for engine temperature sits a fraction of right hand side of the middle, say 0.52 based on my assumption. It sometimes overheats while idling. The needle starts to move to hot area slowly and as soon as I turn on the AC, it goes back to normal operating place (0.52). Recently, the coolant has been changed (radiator not flushed), and thermostat has been replaced since the needle was sometimes bouncing back between 0.42 and 0.52. What can be the problem? Do you think still it can be a problem with the thermostat?

I appreciate for any input.
Old May 10th, 2012, 9:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's either a thermostat problem or a cooling fan problem.
Old May 10th, 2012, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

The van is equipped with dual radiator. They both work once I open the AC. Is it normal?
Old May 11th, 2012, 8:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you replace the thermostat or was it done by someone else?
If by "someone else" are they a licensed mechanic?
Is the new coolant Dex-Cool?
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> penet05,

Are any warning lamps coming on? I agree with "Papa Bear", thermostat or fan may be the issue.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 11th, 2012, 2:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

You say they both work once you open the A/C. This is normal except that one of them comes on if the engine temp goes above a certain point regardless if the A/C is on or not. Check that sensor for proper operation.
Old May 12th, 2012, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

The thermostat was changed by a mechanic. I bought an aftermarket one and I watched him during the work. But the needle being a little bit on the right hand side of the middle almost 99% of the time is not normal isn't it. Do you think is it because of the thermostat?

oldchevy, Do you know where the sensor located for the fan?
Thanks.
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Sorry, not really familiar with the Uplander. You can Google it.
Old May 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It probably doesn't hurt, new thermostat and coolant. However, the gauge in the I/P cluster is not meant to be a precision instrument. It it were me, I'd first hang a scan tool and "calibrate" the gauge by making a note of where the needle is at vs. what the PCM says the engine coolant temperature is. It may turn out that there's nothing to be concerned about.
Old May 12th, 2012, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Do you know what kind of scanner I need to read the engine temperature? I don't think regular OBDII reader will work.

Quick Reply: Overheating