Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rust spots ONLY on 07 Tahoe door molding???

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2012, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rust spots ONLY on 07 Tahoe door molding???

I have a 2007 Tahoe and these rust looking spots started showing up ONLY on the top part of the door molding. *Very* quickly, these spots grew and are moving down the molding. I was thinking brake dust rust but why would it ONLY be on the door molding? It is no where else on my vehicle? I have tried clay bar, wet sanding, and bug remover, but nothing works--I think the spots have gotten too out of hand. I do not have time to just sit there and wetsand for hours. HELP! Is this really rust dust? If so, can I just paint over without the rust coming through the new paint? What can I do? The attached photos are from a few weeks ago so it is now almost twice as bad

Oh, one last question--the Chevy warranty site states, "Sheet Metal: Rust-through coverage is for the first 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first."

Do you think this would cover molding? Is door molding even have any metal in it to be considered sheet metal?

Any help is appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Rust spots ONLY on 07 Tahoe door molding???-photo-copy.jpg   Rust spots ONLY on 07 Tahoe door molding???-photo.jpg  
Old August 19th, 2012, 8:38 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

That's on the chrome strip which may or may not be metal. If it's not metal, the spots might be caused by rail dust but I doubt it as that usually shows up in the paint in the first few months.

I'd certainly approach it under the rust warranty altho it's not clear thru yet.
Old August 21st, 2012, 1:41 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kstough
I have a 2007 Tahoe and these rust looking spots started showing up ONLY on the top part of the door molding. *Very* quickly, these spots grew and are moving down the molding. I was thinking brake dust rust but why would it ONLY be on the door molding? It is no where else on my vehicle? I have tried clay bar, wet sanding, and bug remover, but nothing works--I think the spots have gotten too out of hand. I do not have time to just sit there and wetsand for hours. HELP! Is this really rust dust? If so, can I just paint over without the rust coming through the new paint? What can I do? The attached photos are from a few weeks ago so it is now almost twice as bad

Oh, one last question--the Chevy warranty site states, "Sheet Metal: Rust-through coverage is for the first 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first."

Do you think this would cover molding? Is door molding even have any metal in it to be considered sheet metal?

Any help is appreciated
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Rust-Through: Any body sheet metal panel that rusts-through (an actual hole in the sheet metal) continues to be covered for up to: 6 years/100,000 miles.

This warranty does not cover the following:

- Cosmetic or surface corrosion (resulting from stone chips or scratches in the paint, for example) is not included in sheet metal coverage.

- Perforation or any other form of corrosion caused by accident, damage, abuse, vehicle alteration, or lack of proper owner maintenance.

- Paint fading or deterioration or surface corrosion - regardless of cause.

- Perforation caused by hail, stones, or other impact, or by industrial or chemical fallout.

- Exhaust system, steering and brake system components, suspension, bumpers, mirrors, wheels, and wheel covers.

- Vehicles purchased in the United States but registered or normally operated outside the United States.

Please consult with your dealer for additional warranty terms and conditions.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 21st, 2012, 2:45 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default paint

just walked by a 20 year old Honda, paint looked fine to me.
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Angry My 2007 is doing the same thing!

Did you ever find out what this was caused by? My driver's side door stopped opening from the inside, so I took it to my local Chevy dealership, they had it for 2 days, and when I picked it up, my car on the driver's side ONLY had these same spots on it. The dealership is claiming it had to be there before, but I KNOW it was not.
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Nope never found out. Took to Chevy dealer and she had no idea what it was but said it was not rust. Maybe some kind of mold/mildew.
Old June 21st, 2013, 5:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it's mold or mildew try a bleach/water mix to clean it. would definitley get rid of it if it's organic
Old August 9th, 2013, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 Tahoe this same exact thing is happening to both sides of my Tahoe. I took it to the dealer and was informed that before they would even look at it I would be charged 120.00 since I was out of warranty because I had 42000 miles on my truck it's not even 3 years old and it should be covered. The service manager looked at it and tried telling me that it was tree sap. No offense Chevy but I might be a woman but I am not stupid. They said there was nothing they could do. This will be the last Chevy I buy if a paint job won't last even three years.
I posted a picture of my drivers door.
Attached Thumbnails Rust spots ONLY on 07 Tahoe door molding???-image.jpg  

Last edited by Shirley Hoehman; August 9th, 2013 at 1:50 PM.
Old August 9th, 2013, 7:45 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirley Hoehman
I have a 2011 Tahoe this same exact thing is happening to both sides of my Tahoe. I took it to the dealer and was informed that before they would even look at it I would be charged 120.00 since I was out of warranty because I had 42000 miles on my truck it's not even 3 years old and it should be covered. The service manager looked at it and tried telling me that it was tree sap. No offense Chevy but I might be a woman but I am not stupid. They said there was nothing they could do. This will be the last Chevy I buy if a paint job won't last even three years.
I posted a picture of my drivers door.
Hello Shirley,

We're sorry to hear that you're having rusting on your vehicle, and we thank you for providing the picture to give us a better idea of what you're dealing with. We would definitely like to look more into this for you to see what can be done to correct this issue. Can you please PM us your VIN, contact information and dealership so that we may do additional research? We look forward to working with you.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 9th, 2013, 9:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
just walked by a 20 year old Honda, paint looked fine to me.
but they still can't build a truck. When they do they get gm to engineer the body.

to the OP. When you get rust on a Plastic door molding its probably rail dust that settled in behind the molding.

Last edited by tech2; August 9th, 2013 at 9:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Rust spots ONLY on 07 Tahoe door molding???