Spark Originally known as the Beat, , this Daewoo Matiz based 5 door hatchback is newest to the Chevrolet lineup

Chevrolet Spark

New Spark! Oil Weight?

Old September 1st, 2012, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Spark! Oil Weight?

Hey Everyone, New Spark LS M/T owner (US) and incredibly proud of it. Only paid $11,973! Out the door! Everything I need is in this car, and I just hope it will live long and well! One question I have with these cars, if any US owners of the Spark are on here yet... is which oil to use? I know I need Dexos1 certified oil, which only GM and Mobil1 currently provide. However, My user manual, as well as the oil cap, both say to use ONLY 5W20. When I called my Chevy dealer to get oil, they told me it takes 5W30. So the car is only one month old, and there is already parts confusion. I told the guy at Chevy that my book and my oil cap say 5W20, and he said his system comes straight from GM, so it must be right at 5W30. I have no idea what to use now. Any thoughts? Thanks! Also don't hesitate to ask me anything about the car.
Old September 1st, 2012, 9:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use what the owners manual and the oil cap say. The parts guys info may not be up to date. Buy Mobil 1 5w-20 and skip the parts guy.
Old September 5th, 2012, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the owners manual and the oil cap. Our new Mazda takes 0w/20.
Old September 6th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulations on your new Spark, freeninedy9!

As you say, the manual does specify 5W-20; if you would like for us to double check with our Technical Assistance Center, please send us your inquiry as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN to us via private message. We're happy to check into that for you!

All the best, and many happy miles in your new Spark!
Sarah (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 6th, 2012, 7:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the spark and new malibu 2.5L ecotec both take 5w/20. I work at a chevy dealer (received our first spark today) and we have not received the new oil yet.

Last edited by tech2; September 6th, 2012 at 7:57 PM.
Old September 10th, 2012, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the help! I''m going to go with the 5W20. I just hope that nobody gives me any guff over it if I need to warranty anything. I still have no idea why my local Chevy dealer is telling me, very adamantly, that I can only use 5W30. I wonder if anybody else is having this issue too...
Old September 10th, 2012, 9:04 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM would be the one giving you a hard time. All you have too say is the oil cap and owners manual say 5w-20 and you win.
Old September 10th, 2012, 9:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
GM would be the one giving you a hard time. All you have too say is the oil cap and owners manual say 5w-20 and you win.
I currently own 4 vehicles, a 1970 delta 88 which has no oil cap label so with experience I use 10w-40. The Mazda oil cap is 5w 20 or whatever, the suburban, and lumina both have a wieght specific on thier oil caps, that is what I use. In other words what is specified oil weight is what I use.
Old September 10th, 2012, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

make sure you use synthetic as the requirement is for dexos which is semi-synthetic. Anyone else think the lighter weight is used for improved fuel mileage?

Last edited by tech2; September 10th, 2012 at 9:37 PM.
Old September 10th, 2012, 9:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
make sure you use synthetic as the requirement is for dexos which is semi-synthetic. Anyone else think the lighter weight is used for improved fuel mileage?
Snythetic is just a life extension on oil. Oil brakes down to an acid after time/use. Lighter wieght is a fuel increaser as such, but also introduces wear.

Only reason I use an shc in the Maxda is was daughter used it to commute from school, and I believe we know what service intervals it would have had.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Spark! Oil Weight?