Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Truck died and won't restart...

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck died and won't restart...

Ok I've got a 2000 silvarado v6 single cab 2wd. It's having some major issues.

Firstly, driving to work this morning, it acted like it was running out of gas, so I stopped and put a couple gallons in it. The fuel guage went out awhile back so it's a worry. While fueling the pickup, it died. Now it won't start back up.

My dad towed me home and first thing I did was change the fuel filter. It wasn't too clogged up. I could still blow threw it with a bit of effort. Well while I had the filter off, I turned the key on and the fuel pump spat out gas for 2-3 seconds then shut off. I assume that to either be a saftey feature, or some other feature. Anyways, put the new filter on and no start. I pulled one of my plugs out after trying to start it and the plug is dry. My dad assumes it to be the fuel pump. Sounds like it may be to me also. Im looking for more opinions.

Now assuming it is, they said at autozone it's gonna be one of 2 pumps. a 2 prong and i think they said a 1 prong? or maybe a 2 and a 3. Only 10 bucks difference. Any idea which my pickup would have?

Also any tips for getting to a replacing said pump?
Old September 11th, 2012, 4:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your going to get ALOT of mixed opinions on how to change pump but mine would be to take off the bed. Some will also tell you to drop the tank but without a working gas gauge it would be safe to say you have no idea how much gas is in the tank at any givin time. Take yor vin number into your nearest chevy dealer and they can tell you which pump is required for your exact truck.
Old September 12th, 2012, 6:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Don't buy a cheap pump. It is too much work to buy something that won't last long. Get either a Delco or Delphi pump. They seem to last the longest.