Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt....

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2012, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt....

So earlier i asked on here about a ticking noise, tonight i looked at my manifold and it turns out the a bolt is broken off on the drivers side bank, (the bolt closest to the front of the truck) i called my local shop and they said it was a common problem, and would cost roughly $100-$200 or so to fix. not what i wanted to hear, so i was wondering if it would be easy to fix myself, or if a GM dealer would do it for free, its an 05 so it isnt under warranty, but being that it is a common problem there should be some kind of a recall on it. right? any suggestions with this would be cool. thanks! (also looking to add some long tube headers sometime in the future, so should i wait and just replace the headers and not get the bolt fixed or does it need to be fixed asap?)

2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8l V8
Old September 17th, 2012, 8:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it just that the head sheared off the bolt or the whole thing sheared off in the block? You can do it yourself. It's pretty easy if you have access to a welder. And I'd wait and do it when you have the headers sittin around you that way you can take the stock manifolds off to get to it better.
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

It is very common but they are not going to fix it free. The easiest way it to weld a nut to it then back it out. It can be done with a left handed drill bit or an easy out also as long as you do not hit the threads. $100-200 sound about right at a shop.
Old September 18th, 2012, 11:35 AM
CF Active Member

Get your headers now because to fix this is going to require you to remove the manifold so you may as well put the header back on when your done. If there is not enough bolt left to grab ahold of then grind it flat and drill a hole in the center and ez-out it. If that doesn't work then you will need to drill out the bolt, tap the hole and heli-coil it. If this sounds like too much for you then $100-$200 doesn't sound too bad to pay.
Old September 19th, 2012, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default It's an easy fix

I have done it a couple times now. I have an 04 silver ado. Piece a cake if you are even slightly mechanically inclined. Nice thing about aluminum, you won't damage anything welding a nut to the broken stub. Just lay the nut over the top of the broken bolt and fill in the top with welder. Remove the manifold first. You will have to remove the wheel and the plastic wheel inner fender
Old September 19th, 2012, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

My only peice of advice on this is be careful if you try to drill and easy out the bolt On my truck the drivers side rear bolt broke off and I drilled it perfect but then broke the easy out off, so I am pretty much screwed, I ended up building a bracket that bolts on to the back of the head that pushes the exhaust manifold against the head. I did take my truck to an exhaust shop for them to try and remove it but they were unsuccesful.
Old September 19th, 2012, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for all the replies, i think i might try to gir r don this weekend, and hopefully the EZ outs are on my side...
Old September 19th, 2012, 9:36 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Life sucks for sure if the easy out or tap break off in the hole. If you pull the head a machine shop can burn it out. http://www.electroarc.com/gclid=CKfW...FQpnOgodbCUALg

It would be much better to fix it correctly then keep messing with some homemade bracket that may or may not work right the first time permanently.If you can do it yourself then your looking 300-400 in parts and machine shop.
Old September 20th, 2012, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

The home made bracket has been holding for over a year and works great. There has been no exhaust leaks since I put it on and I would rather use it than spend the time and money to pull the head and have the down time with no truck which I need everyday. Don't get me wrong I wish the easy out would not have broke
Old September 23rd, 2012, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

So yesterday i tried using an easy out and it worked the first time! put a new bolt in it (from the dealer) but it still makes that damned ticking noise.... it now sounds like its coming from right underneath the drivers seat, so im guessing its a gasket where the manifold connects to the pipe? any ideas? thanks for the help with getting it out!

Quick Reply: Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt....