Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Engine power reduced - service traction

Old October 30th, 2012, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine power reduced - service traction

These messages came up on my 2010 cobalt. Engine stalled 3 times on my way to Mountain View Chevy. $102.00 just to Find out what's wrong. So much for the warranty. Anyone have an idea what it may be?

Update- some wires were "rubbing together under the hood" and now it's gonna cost $350.00 to replace part of a harness. How is this not a manfacturing defect and why does it come out of my pocket?!!!

Last edited by Rjreidjr; October 30th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 9:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Rjreidjr,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Would you please provide the last 8-digits of your VIN and the mileage on the vehicle, so I can look into this further for you?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 25th, 2012, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Last 8 of the Vin - A7216465, mileage is 60k. To explain the "wires rubbing together" comment a little better, a harness feeds over the engine from the firewall area over the middle of the valve cover and rubbed on the front of the engine near the water inlet. The movement of the engine rubbing on the harness covering exposed wires and caused it to show a lot of codes and the engine power reduced message. I would suggest to others out there to check their vehicles for this defect as well. I do not race this thing around and its an automatic, it seems like the harness placement/routing should have been better thought out.
Old November 25th, 2012, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

The final price to fix was $300.00 to solder/rewrap the damaged wires and harness covering, not to replace a harness.