Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2010 Suburban Trans Cooler Hose leaking

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2012, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Suburban Trans Cooler Hose leaking

I have a 2010 Suburban with 44K miles on it. When I recently went to the dealer to have a oil leak checked, they rattled off about $1600 worth of stuff that they say I needed to have done. The oil leak turned out to be a faulty filter that was easy to fix. We don't drive our truck hard and always keep up with the maintenance. The truck is less than 3 years old so I am sceptical. One of the more expensive things they said i needed done was to have my three transmision cooler lines replaced because they were leaking. First off, is it typical to have to replace something like this so soon? Secondly, how difficult is this to replace? they quoted me a price of about $1000 for this.
Old November 19th, 2012, 8:03 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

I too would be skeptical... I have an 07 and installed the trans cooler myself and its fairly easy if you are mechanically inclined...
I would check them all to understand why they feel replacement is needed...
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Randy Michak,

I agree with “in2pro”, as for additional information. You are also welcome to get a second opinion.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 4th, 2013, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Randy Michak
I have a 2010 Suburban with 44K miles on it. When I recently went to the dealer to have a oil leak checked, they rattled off about $1600 worth of stuff that they say I needed to have done. The oil leak turned out to be a faulty filter that was easy to fix. We don't drive our truck hard and always keep up with the maintenance. The truck is less than 3 years old so I am sceptical. One of the more expensive things they said i needed done was to have my three transmision cooler lines replaced because they were leaking. First off, is it typical to have to replace something like this so soon? Secondly, how difficult is this to replace? they quoted me a price of about $1000 for this.
I also have a 2010 Suburban with transmission line(s) leaking. Can you let me know what you found or did about yours? I also have 44K miles. Interested in any info you have. I am new here, so don't know how this reply works. Thanks! Ben in Alb, NM
Old February 4th, 2013, 6:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the trans cooler lines are prone to leaking. It typically occurs when a cold snap of weather occurs. The lines will leak where the rubber hose and metal line are crimped together.
Old February 4th, 2013, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Tech 2. Is this something GM acknowledges? Is it usually a leak between the rubber and Metal at the crimp? I seem to have a recessed dimple in the metal above the rows of crimping just before the metal narrows. The fluid is passing right through the metal at this small dimple. When you wipe it clear, it fills back in red with fluid with in about 10 seconds. Could this be a manufacturing defect? It looks to me like it was part of the assembly production, and it has probably been there since day 1, but I have owned the Suburban less than a year, and just had it in for it's first oil change at 41,000 Mi. Drove to Ohio and back, put 3K miles on it. Also after reading this forum, I too had vibration around 73 - 74 MPH while pulling an empty dove tail car hauler.
Old February 6th, 2013, 5:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

unless your still under the 3year 36miles bumper to bumper warranty or you have some type of extended warranty the lines may be covered. the lines are not covered under powertrain warranty.

Where did you feel the vibration; in the seat or through the steering wheel?
Old February 6th, 2013, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

I don't remember exactly, but my passenger said he felt it in his seat and his body, and it seemed to just be in a tight 2 or 3 MPH range. I was just attributing it to a tire slightly out of balance, though I am not sure. On the Cooler lines, if it was a defect right out of the factory and has finally leaked enough to be noticed, they still won't cover it or even help a little on a 2 year old $30K vehicle if it has over 40K Miles huh?
Old February 6th, 2013, 7:26 PM
CF Veteran

yep very common, we have kind of a quick fix we do in certain circumstances where we cut off the crimps and replace the rubber section of the line...is it the proper fix? no...does it work? yes
Old February 6th, 2013, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2010 Suburban Trans Cooler Hose leaking