HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

2010 Chevrolet HHR key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2012, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Chevrolet HHR key stuck in ignition

Well, like the title says, the key to my 2010 HHR is stuck in the ignition and I cannot either pull the key out or start the car. I suspect vandalism but can't prove it as yet. Does anyone have a solution to retrieving the key and re-starting the car?

Last edited by Pogoer; December 24th, 2012 at 4:52 PM.
Old December 24th, 2012, 7:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Is the battery dead? as there is a solenoid that must be powered to release the key. It can be released manually.

Will the key rotate in the cylinder at all?
Old December 27th, 2012, 1:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Pogoer,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your HHR. This may be due to the shift control linkage being out of adjustment or the ignition lock cylinder may need to be replaced. These are just suggestions and are not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 28th, 2013, 2:09 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key stuck in ignition with car running

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Pogoer,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your HHR. This may be due to the shift control linkage being out of adjustment or the ignition lock cylinder may need to be replaced. These are just suggestions and are not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Today is Sunday and all dealers in my area are closed. I took my grandkids to the movies today, but when we arrived I could not turn the ignition key off nor take it out. So, there we were in a parking lot with no way to kill the engine. I ended up coming back home and researched this issue---with engine running in driveway---and found out it is a COMMON problem with the HHR. General Motors KNOWS the shifter linkage is sub-standard (made of plastic) and has known about this common problem for FOUR YEARS. You people should be ashamed of yourselves for selling items you know are sub-par and will break instead of fixing the problem.
Old April 28th, 2013, 3:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kliklok00
Today is Sunday and all dealers in my area are closed. I took my grandkids to the movies today, but when we arrived I could not turn the ignition key off nor take it out. So, there we were in a parking lot with no way to kill the engine. I ended up coming back home and researched this issue---with engine running in driveway---and found out it is a COMMON problem with the HHR. General Motors KNOWS the shifter linkage is sub-standard (made of plastic) and has known about this common problem for FOUR YEARS. You people should be ashamed of yourselves for selling items you know are sub-par and will break instead of fixing the problem.
Hi there,

I am very sorry that you've experienced this vehicle issue today. Were you able to get your vehicle towed back to your home?

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 28th, 2013, 8:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by kliklok00
the hhr has one of the best powertrains out there. While your mad about your $200 shifter be glad your not in a different brand that needs a $5000 engine or transmission.