Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Block Heater Cords...

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2013, 2:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Heater Cords...

Ok, it's -36C here today and I've discovered that the GM Thermostatically Controlled Block Heater Cords on both my 2011 Impala and my 2006 Uplander are not working! The Impala will be replaced on warranty, but the van will need to be replaced on my own dime, which is about a $200 touch from GM.

Question: Is there any truth to the rumour that you can't install just a generic block heater cord for $30 from an auto parts store to replace the GM unit?

Thanks.
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default block heater cords

HI,I do not know if you will run into the same problem my son with his 2006 GMC,but it was cold enough one night he thought it would help his
DURAMAX so he plugged in his block heater and several hrs. at end a tow
truck we were told that the reason the trany would not shift right was because of temperature difference between the engine and trany caused the trany not to shift at the right speeds caused the need for a tow truck.
The engineers at GMC were not smart enough to a few lines of code to the computer to tell the engine and trany about different temperatures and allow computer to tell trany to work,just food for thought.