Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How do i disconnect the Onstar in my Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2007, 3:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i disconnect the Onstar in my Tahoe?

How do i disconnect the Onstar (TRACKING DEVICE) on my 07 tahoe? I Dont like people to know where i am at all the time, its like a tracking device on my leg, my wife could find me at anytime, i want it out of the truck asap SO HOW DO I GET IT NOT TO WORK?
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: How do i disconnect the Onstar in my Tahoe?

I would leave it alone. If your Hoe gets stolen, the first thing the insurance company is going to look for when they find her is why and who tampered with the GPS system and may not pay your claim. And even if they do pay the claim they will jack your rate up to no tomorrow and get there dime back from you.
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"OnStar does not continuously or routinely monitor, update or otherwise track the location of OnStar-equipped cars. OnStar only knows the location of a car when a user initiates a request for service, there is an Air Bag Deployment, an Advanced Automatic Crash Notification occurs, your OnStar equipment calls OnStar with data updates or when required to locate a car by a valid court order in criminal procedures or under exigent circumstances. OnStar requires police involvement for Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance and missing person requests."

In a nut shell: If you aren't a criminal you have nothing to fear from Onstar.
To date Onstar has not been used to track or otherwise locate a car or person that was suspected of being involved in a crime other than to track a stolen Onstar equipped car at the owner's request.

To disable the GPS portion of the device simply unplug the roof mounted Onstar (not XM) antenna, the easiest way to access it is to drop the headliner.

Old April 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

okay, i have my reasons for not wanting onstar, so how do i get the headliner off? because i ripped the antanna off the roof & i got stuck with a big hole that leaked water & no XM Radio but still had onstar!.
Old April 15th, 2007, 3:31 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell you if your parol officer gives me a call to vouch for your sanity.
Old April 15th, 2007, 3:42 PM
CF Junior Member

i dont know about this guy!! he dented his steering whell from punching it and now he wants to be invisible!! this just sounds really fishy.. hey larry_chip, do you know trick concepts??
Old April 15th, 2007, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

lol it's a long story, the trucks on my wifes name & she found me once when i didn't wanna be found (girl friends house) long story, anyways thats why i don't want it.
Old April 15th, 2007, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not sure which fuse it is, but check your owner's manual for the Onstar fuse. You should just be able to pull the fuse to disconnect it. I know that power programmer like Hypertech suggest the fuse for Onstar be pulled while programming the vehicle.
Old April 15th, 2007, 9:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuse is probably your best bet as mentioned by 2500hd 8.1. If you pull the fuse I believe it will also depower all buttons on the mirror (auto adjusting night mirror)
Old April 16th, 2007, 3:58 PM
CF Active Member

there is nothing illegal about discconecting on star. Its your car and you can do what ever you want to it
my one is discconected too ( i'm testing blue tooth and some otherdevices on my vehicleand people from on star kept calling me andsending me e_mails about error messages that they recieved on monthly basis[/align]for those who want to disconnect your on star, no need to rip your roof antenna of or removing any fuses (most of those fuses control more then one components)[/align]on star module is located right underneath your radio. just disconnect antenna connector out of on star module, and you done[/align]

Quick Reply: How do i disconnect the Onstar in my Tahoe?