Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

100mph cut off switch?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 2:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100mph cut off switch?

I was wondering how I go about dis-engaging the 100mph engine "cut off switch".. I cant find anywhere in any auto-info sites how to do this..

Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L
Old May 7th, 2007, 9:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 100mph cut off switch?

National highway speed limit = 65 MPH. Why do you need to go 100+? Unsafe and dangerous to go that fast on the road in a car let alone a truck. I hope that is for race track only use( If it is please disregard all comments I make ). Are your tires evenrated for that speed? Please don't go that fast on the roads. You might kill an innocent person. What you do to yourself is your problem but think about what you coould do to someone else.[]
Old May 7th, 2007, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

There is a race track near my home that I was wanting to go to, and I was hoping I could atleast pass 100. I am not going to drive that fast on the streets, I know how dangerous it can be.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM
CF Pro Member

There is no " cut off switch " you have to change the rev limit programed in the ECU.
Old May 7th, 2007, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

ok, thanks
Old May 7th, 2007, 8:53 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: anthem777

There is a race track near my home that I was wanting to go to, and I was hoping I could atleast pass 100. I am not going to drive that fast on the streets, I know how dangerous it can be.
Okay. Cool. I will tell you one way you can do it then( maybe ). Most vehicles that I know of with a rev or top speedlimiter set in the PCM can have it removed or altered by one of the popular handlheld computer programmers like Hypertech or Superchips.

Also, on a GM product a custom tune can do it as well.

Thanks for being safe and keeping the racing where it belongs = the track!
Old May 8th, 2007, 1:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Maybe I'm the only one that drives fast. They are right. You have to get a programer or have someone do it for you. Have fun going fast.
Old August 8th, 2020, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by NHSilverado
National highway speed limit = 65 MPH. Why do you need to go 100+? Unsafe and dangerous to go that fast on the road in a car let alone a truck. I hope that is for race track only use( If it is please disregard all comments I make ). Are your tires evenrated for that speed? Please don't go that fast on the roads. You might kill an innocent person. What you do to yourself is your problem but think about what you coould do to someone else.[]
Ever driven in Texas? Most speed limits are 75 MPH, with some reaching 85 MPH. People act like you never break the law and go faster than what the speed limit is. When you get frustrated, or you're on an open stretch with no cars near you, it's easy to go faster than you probably should. And I agree it's dangerous, but if you pay attention to the road, then you should be able to gauge if you really need to be going that fast in the first place
Old August 8th, 2020, 7:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

You exhumed a 13 year topic for this?

Frustrated is the wrong state of mind to be in when rocketing along at 100mph.

Also no amount of "attention" will help you when your tires explode or something else fails because it wasn't designed for that kind of speed.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (August 8th, 2020)
Old August 13th, 2020, 5:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a governor that is mandated by federal law on motor vehicles sold in the USA. Driving a street truck with its suspension and tires at that speed is high risk behavior. Air gets under the truck and the lift reduces steering control.

Quick Reply: 100mph cut off switch?