Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Problem 99 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2006, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem 99 Tahoe

I am hoping that someone out there can lend a little insight to my current problem with my 99 Chevy Tahoe.

Yesterday, I started up the truck and shifted into reverse (AT). I then prceeded to start to back up, and it made it maybe half a foot before I heard a strange thunk, and the engine would just rev . I was parked in some snow, so i thought that I might be stuck so I shifted into drive, and pulled away. Then, I shifted back into reverse, to get out of where i was at, and nothing happens. The thing will not shift into reverse, it just acts like neutral. I can shift into drive and it seems to work, but reverse is missing. In drive it makes a strange, not loud noise, kinda a whirring sound. I am thinking this is a huge mechanical failure of the transmission, but what the hell do i know. Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions on this particular problem?
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Transmission Problem 99 Tahoe

Gregg, I hate to bring you bad news, but these transmissions suck ! They are made with bad valves in them. I don't know why GM doesn't correct this problem after all the years of complaints.
I had the same problem and I know several others who have too !!! Most transmission repair shops offer a 2 year warranty.
Good Luck, Dondobe
Old January 31st, 2006, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, that is pretty much what I figured. I just would have thought that there would have been some sort of sign of catastrophy before it happened. Oh well, its only money []
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Be real careful who u pick to rebuild the trans. I bought one from Jasper the caseing cracked after 6 months they replaced it and 6 months later it cracked again. Jasper would not honer there warrenty they said there was a bullition from GM on this problem but GM did not know why it was happening. Jasper did not tell me about this until the second trans and now they are charging me 60% for the trans.
My truck is used by my wife and she is a stay at home mom the truck has never been off road and it had 145,000 miles on it when the trans went bad. There was no crack in the trans when it went bad The reverse went just like yours.
Old April 19th, 2006, 1:25 AM
CF Active Member

dude it's a shell inside that trany that cracks. forget the name of it. I work for a dealership and the guy next to me does them all the time. it's for reverse and 4th i think. It's a big shell and on one end it has a gear in the middle, the shell strips around the gear. Will find out the name of it for ya tomorrow.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 2:28 AM
CF Active Member

ok yeah, it's called the reaction shell, it'll take out reverse, 2nd and 4th gears
Old November 1st, 2007, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

I just had the exact same failure happen to my 99 tahoe yesterday. I had it towed to the shop for repair. Any idea what the rebuild "should" cost for the 4L60E?
Old August 4th, 2015, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default Acierno

What to replace in my 98 Tahoe. I only have first and second. It wont go into third and drive. It trys